The Square Customer Directory is a customer relationship management (CRM) tool that enables Square sellers to store customer information, analyze customer interactions and activity, and more. Customers are represented by customer profiles that contain contact and personal information (such as name, email address, phone number, and birthday) and supplemental information (such as the groups or segments the customer belongs to). Customer profiles are created using Square APIs and Square products and experiences, such as the Seller Dashboard and Square Point of Sale.
You can use the Customers API to create and manage customer profiles for Square sellers, including membership in customer groups. The Customers API can also be used in combination with other Square APIs, Square products, and third-party tools to provide robust experiences for sellers and their customers. The lean and flexible interface makes it easy to integrate custom functionality into eCommerce and other experiences, typically across channels such as analytics, marketing, loyalty, and personalization.
The following are examples of some of the activities you can perform using the Customers API:
- Keep customer records for a Square seller account.
- Synchronize customer data with the Customer Directory by using webhooks and polling for changes.
- Search for customers using supported query filters.
- Integrate customer data with other Square services to facilitate the customer purchasing experience.
You can use Customer API endpoints to perform the following operations to create and manage customer profiles in a seller account.
The following endpoints are used to manage customer profiles:
- CreateCustomer - Create a single customer profile.
- UpdateCustomer - Update a single customer profile.
- DeleteCustomer - Delete a single customer profile.
- BulkCreateCustomers - Create multiple customer profiles.
- BulkUpdateCustomers - Update multiple customer profiles.
- BulkDeleteCustomers - Delete multiple customer profiles.
The following endpoints are used to retrieve customer profiles:
- RetrieveCustomer - Retrieve a customer using the customer ID.
- BulkRetrieveCustomers - Retrieve multiple customer profiles using customer IDs.
- ListCustomers - List the customer profiles. You can also use the
countquery parameter to get the seller's total customer count.
The following endpoint is used to search for customer profiles:
- SearchCustomers - Search for customer profiles using one or more query filters.
The following endpoints are used to manage customer group membership: