Transaction ID: flD04mHu0d9b0oaAfgjxOiMHKhKZY, Status: declined, Message: transaction_declined - Authorization error: 'GENERIC_DECLINE'

I am losing many orders a day when customer select SQUARE as a payment checkout and unable to make the payment. The most common error log is:

Transaction ID: flD04mHu0d9b0oaAfgjxOiMHKhKZY, Status: declined, Message: transaction_declined - Authorization error: ‘GENERIC_DECLINE’

What am I suppose to do?

When your customer gets a generic decline message they will need to contact their bank. This decline is coming from the card holders bank not Square. :slightly_smiling_face:

but i lose the customer because they never respond to my msgs or calls after that.

can i set a format when it gets declines that says please contact your bank or verify the payment to proceed something like that?

You can definitely obfuscate the error message to show a different message that instructs the customer to contact their bank. :slightly_smiling_face:

how do I do that? where can that be done?

Did you build the integration that your using to process payments with or are you using one of our partner integrations? :slightly_smiling_face:

I am directly integrating square to bigcommerce website

Okay, then this is something that BigCommerce would need to add. Unfortunately we don’t have access to the code that could catch the error and obfuscate the returned message. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just spoke to them and they said when customer clicks paymnt he is redirected to square and if payment is declined it is usually square where it shows decline message so it will be square to change message or make any updates.