Orders related to Appointment Service don't have catalog_object_id of taxes

Hi,

I’ve been investigating the issue that our customer recently had. I think it’s somehow related to the orders that have used Appointment Service.
For example, let’s look at this order:
It has a 5bbpUZKTM8jyT0VMxJkQkMpeV id, it has a product variation FE4H7WQ6HOTCR4O74AI7Y6PG, and this variation belongs to an item with AUSSALESTAXML9G5SEBG94ZR tax catalogue id, however, this tax id doesn’t appear in order’s applied taxes. Could you please explain why it’s not here? Is it a bug or expected behaviour?

Thanks

Hi there.

I found another customer affected by this issue. Could you please look at this order? Describing briefly, there is an order with id rUF4hxVDQWAuBRuPf4lhF2meV that has product variation 6D6YYNTBYMUZU5PKZNYMVNLB and that variation belongs to an item with AUSSALESTAXML11ZPDVQBD20 tax catalogue, but this tax id doesn’t appear in order’s applied taxes.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

:wave: I spoke to the team about this and this is due to the way that the order was created and paid for with Square Appointments. Currently the applied_taxes won’t contain the Id for the tax. You will need to get the tax_id by getting the related_objects associated to the item. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Actually, there is one more thing I would like to know.
Could you please confirm if by “You will need to get the tax_id by getting the related_objects associated to the item.” you mean that we should extract an id from the Appointments Service item’s tax_ids to find out which taxes were used during the order creation? So, those tax_ids can be matched with taxes on the particular line_item?

Would you please confirm if my understanding is correct? I’ll appreciate it.

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi again,

I have another question regarding the same customer.
Besides Square Appointments-related orders, we found some taxes still don’t have catalog_object_id assigned. For example this order has line item with uid e274a8d7-8bcd-4248-be22-db09b57ae186 that is related to the product_variant with id P7B3J3WLCQIGN2SE7VW5FXAC and this variant belongs to an item with AUSSALESTAXML9G5SEBG94ZR tax catalog id, but order field taxes doesn’t contain such a relation.
Can we match it in the same way we did for Square Appointment items, so we will know which id of the tax was used for the particular line_item?

Is the solution you gave us also applicable for this issue? If yes, how we can distinguish between real ad-hoc taxes and those created using the shown relation?

Thanks.

Besides this customer, there is another one that has a similar issue.

Initially, we thought that it’s somehow related to how Weebly works (which is not supported by us). But our customer said it’s not - he doesn’t use that. So, by investigating the order, we found a potential association with catalogue tax (described in previous posts) which we want potentially use. We already know that it works for Square Appointments, so maybe we can use that for other similar issues like this one also?

This affects all line items of order with id 6JvvCEthVgqVnBcxmTIMoKlK73RZY.

Sorry, for linking so many tickets here, but we want to find a more general solution if possible.

:wave: Yes, with the orders you provided you will match it in the same way you did for Square Appointment items, so you will know which id of the tax was used for the particular line_item . Also for Square Online store orders like 6JvvCEthVgqVnBcxmTIMoKlK73RZY you can use the same process to figure our the taxes.

Thanks Bryan.

I see, so we can use this process for Square Appointments and even for Square Online. But how about 59A3UWzvLuvxzgzbkMEi2JseV. As I understand, this is not Square Online order. So, is this a coincidence that we can also apply the same process here? I’m asking because I’m looking specifically for general solutions, but I don’t see anything special regarding this particular order.

I’m not sure I fully understand the question. This order 59A3UWzvLuvxzgzbkMEi2JseV is from Square Appointments.

Right, I’m very sorry I didn’t notice that it was Square Appointment service.
Please assume there wasn’t this part of a question :smiley:
Thanks.

Hi @Bryan-Square , I wasn’t sure if I should open another issue or continue on this one, but the thing that we found, based on our prior experience, might be related to the Apportioned Services topic.

Recently, we stopped using the workaround described above, as Square seems to resolve the issue and now properly return the catalog_object_id of taxes when the sale is related to the appointment services.

Unfortunately, after making this shift, we started notice some occurrences of missing catalog_object_id in some orders, potentially related to appointment services, even though, the majority of the orders returns the catalog_object_id.

For example, based on this order:

{
  "id": "5bbpUZKTM8jyT0VMxJkQkMpeV",
  "location_id": "LFQ21VWDKFHA2",
  "line_items": [
    {
      "uid": "baeb396d-4c4f-4a95-a5f1-a5b2b36d7bd4",
      "catalog_object_id": "FE4H7WQ6HOTCR4O74AI7Y6PG",
      "catalog_version": 1631443425453,
      "quantity": "1",
      "name": "264.14 - GS - FULL CLIP and Wash",
      "variation_name": "Regular",
      "base_price_money": {
        "amount": 9000,
        "currency": "AUD"
      },
      "gross_sales_money": {
      },
      "total_tax_money": {
        "amount": 818,
      },
      "total_discount_money": {
        "amount": 0,
      },
      "total_money": {
      },
      "variation_total_price_money": {
      },
      "applied_taxes": [
        {
          "uid": "3521d169-f574-41f0-b7df-46db181190b1",
          "tax_uid": "c75a229a-5afe-4e09-aa47-9e41819f7c5f",
          "applied_money": {
          }
        }
      ],
      "item_type": "ITEM"
    }
  ],
  "taxes": [
    {
      "uid": "c75a229a-5afe-4e09-aa47-9e41819f7c5f",
      "name": "GST",
      "percentage": "10",
      "type": "INCLUSIVE",
      "applied_money": {
      },
      "scope": "LINE_ITEM"
    }
  ],
  "created_at": "2021-09-23T04:19:46Z",
  "updated_at": "2021-09-23T04:19:46Z",
  "state": "COMPLETED",
  "total_tax_money": {
  },
  "total_discount_money": {
  },
  "total_tip_money": {
  },
  },
  "closed_at": "2021-09-23T04:19:46Z",
  "tenders": [
    {
      "id": "LdWNQSRu6BvRtMqjxnx2XDxouaB",
      "location_id": "LFQ21VWDKFHA2",
      "transaction_id": "5bbpUZKTM8jyT0VMxJkQkMpeV",
      "created_at": "2021-09-23T04:19:44Z",
      "amount_money": {
      },
      "processing_fee_money": {
        "amount": 198,
      },
      "customer_id": "H1B1Y5R7714SD6X08AGZTH8PKG",
      "type": "CARD",
      "card_details": {
        "status": "CAPTURED",
        "card": {
          "card_brand": "VISA",
          "last_4": "3660",
          "fingerprint": "sq-1-E4SnuqE8c1xyFJ4HOCd-Z3INRMcCblqP3zF_Ez3_uWyHOpQJ6zhMcgQEp7CUt7Fq8g"
        },
        "entry_method": "KEYED"
      },
      "tip_money": {
      }
    }
  ],
  "total_service_charge_money": {
  },
  "return_amounts": {
    },
    "tax_money": {
    },
    "discount_money": {
    },
    },
    "service_charge_money": {
    }
  },
  "net_amounts": {
    },
    "tax_money": {
    },
    "discount_money": {
    },
    },
    "service_charge_money": {
    }
  },
  "customer_id": "H1B1Y5R7714SD6X08AGZTH8PKG"
}

We can see that the taxes array is missing the catalog_object_id, when similar orders like YwCnODosEGgbtZe2rMDybX1eV, created, according to the customer, in the same source, properly includes the property.

Might I know what is the key factor that decides whether the order will have the catalog_object_id or not? Is it something that can be fixed/adjusted by Square, or the workaround will still be required?

Thank you.

Hi @Bryan-Square , a gentle follow-up on this matter please.