MasterCard issues

We used developer environment to setup square for our clients. Tested with all CC types and it worked well in development environment. Pushed code to production. Worked well until lasst week. As of mid-week last week, Clients who are trying to pay with MASTERCARD are getting a GENERIC DECLINE message and their card is not accepted. Is there an issue with SQUARE accepting MASTERCARD at this time and if so, when will it be resolved. This is a big deal.

When your customers got this error did you instruct them to contact there bank? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan—The client verified that their card was valid and it has worked with other online sites, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.
Then they called square support and square said there were issues with square accepting MasterCard payments.

I’m the developer of the website. MasterCard tests fine in the development environment.
MasterCard was being accepted without issue until mid-last week.

I just called square support and the person there said there is no support for their development environment which I thought was very strange.
They said MasterCard is being accepted and there are no documented issues with this right now.
We integrated SQUARE into our website using the SQUARE APIs provided through square.

We use the SQUARE API to Create a ‘CreatePaymentRequest’. It sends to SQUARE successfully but returns with an ERROR.
The ERROR MESSAGE returned in the response has a GENERIC DECLINE message.
This works fine/well for other CCs and like I mentioned, was working fine until middle of last week.

And, I forgot to mention. It happens to any client using a MasterCard for their transaction.
It does not happen to clients using VISA.

Do you have an example declined payment_id? :slightly_smiling_face:

We didn’t trigger_error the entire RESPONSE w/ERRORS.
I’ll add that code tonight and ask the client to rerun the transaction.
That should give us the entire response object, including error detail that returned.

Response/error from SQUARE:
“errors”: [{“code”: “GENERIC_DECLINE”,“detail”: “Authorization error: ‘GENERIC_DECLINE’”,“category”: “PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR”}],“payment”: {“id”: “l6gio1o9fr4YyaxGiYqdgP0dyODZY”,“created_at”: “2024-04-22T18:55:32.169Z”,“updated_at”: “2024-04-22T18:55:32.800Z”,“amount_money”: {“amount”: 1061,“currency”: “USD”},“status”: “FAILED”,“delay_duration”: “PT168H”,“source_type”: “CARD”,“card_details”: {“status”: “FAILED”,“card”: {“card_brand”: “MASTERCARD”,…{removed this section} “card_type”: “CREDIT”,“prepaid_type”: “NOT_PREPAID”,“bin”: “524366”},“entry_method”: “KEYED”,“cvv_status”: “CVV_ACCEPTED”,“avs_status”: “AVS_ACCEPTED”,“errors”: [{“code”: “GENERIC_DECLINE”,“detail”: “Authorization error: ‘GENERIC_DECLINE’”,“category”: “PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR”}]

Client is now saying they got 1 mastercard transaction to flow. They’ve had several declined with different people—I’m thinking that coincidentally those MasterCards were issued by the same bank (even tho they are different people) and that bank is having issues w/MasterCards. If the payment_id above identifies anything further in your logs, please let me know so that we can share that with the bank involved. Many thanks.

The team is looking into this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Was there anything further found in your logs connected to the payment-id I provided?

The team is still working on this. I’ll be sure to provide an update when I hear from the team. :slightly_smiling_face: