Is there a way to enter bulk data into the Sandbox?

Hi Good Folks,

I hope you’re doing well. I’m here seeking some suggestions.

We’re building a system that requires testing bulk data from our Sandbox. I understand we use the application to enter data. However, that is not enough for us and need to upload synthetic data and timestamps for testing purposes. Is there a way to do so?

I’m also trying to access the Sandbox data using the API provided. Can anyone suggest how to retrieve orders? I’d highly appreciate it if anyone kindly share some sample codes.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Niaz

:wave: At this time a set of bulk data isn’t currently available unless you seed the data in sandbox.

Also to retrieve orders in Sandbox you will use either SearchOrders or RetrieveOrder with the Orders API. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your quick reply. We have the data but don’t know how to push it into the Sandbox. We’re currently using the app provided by Square but the problem is we want to test our system with a large dataset spanning over a long period (at least 12 months). With the app, first we cannot add large data and second it will take 12 months to have data with 12-months timestamp.

I’d appreciate if you give us a documentation showing (of course, if available) how to add bulk data without having to go through the app.

Best regards,

Niaz

Hi Niaz,

Currently with sandbox there isn’t a way to import large datasets that span multiple month. Sandbox doesn’t have a way to backfill data so you can test applications across multiple month without seeding the data over several months. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan,

It would be really great if you let your API development team know about this feature. Importing a large dataset spanning multiple months into the Sandbox is the key to test our app.

Will it be possible for the API dev team to upload a large dataset into our Sandbox if we give them it in csv format?

Cheers,

Niaz

Unfortunately, backdating data isn’t currently available with our sandbox. I’ll be sure to share your request to the product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for sharing our request with the product team. I hope in a future release, we get that support. Meanwhile, I was wondering, do you have any test sandbox that can feed us data for performing a stress testing on our system?

Best regards,

Niaz

Unfortunately, do don’t have a sandbox that could feed you data for stress testing. You could build tests that would make large amounts of API calls to our sandbox. Then you could consume the data for testing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Start the wizard. From Setup, enter Data Import Wizard in the Quick Find box, then select Data,Import Wizard,Choose the data that you want to import,Map your data fields to Salesforce data fields,Review and start your import,Check import status.

My CC Pay

:wave: I’m happy to help, but I’m not sure I fully understand your question. Whenever you have a moment, please reply with a little more information describing your technical issue or question. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just found this response while looking for a way to get my production data into my sandbox. Is “seed(ing) the data in sandbox” something supported by a square developer tool?

:wave: At this time we don’t have a tool that would seed data for your sandbox account other than creating catalog objects with our Order Ahead Sample app. You will need to seed the account yourself or build scripts to do it for you. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan. I have data in my production environment and I am creating a new Sandbox environment. I need the catalog data of my production environment in the Sandbox. I tried fetching the data using the api and then doing batch upsert catalog but that returned an error
category: ‘INVALID_REQUEST_ERROR’,
code: ‘INVALID_VALUE’,
detail: ‘Object of type MODIFIER_LIST does not exist: ID=“23W3JLCW2EHLF5CD3K5M73A5”’
Any idea how I can resolve this or any other way I can upload the data to Sandbox environment.

The error your getting is cause the modifier list value your passing in doesn’t exist in sandbox. If your importing from production to Sandbox it may be best if you export the .CSV file and import the Catalog in sandbox.

With the Item Import Tool, easily add new items to your library using an Excel (.xlsx) or CSV template.

To get started with Item Import Tool, follow the steps below:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Actions > Import Library.
  3. Select Modify Item Library to add new items and update existing items, or Replace Item Library to delete all existing items and replace them with your uploaded items.
  4. Click Next > Click Download your item library to download your current inventory Excel (.xlsx) or .CSV report Export. Select between Excel (recommended) or CSV.
  5. Open the file saved to your computer in a spreadsheet program.
  6. Fill in the template columns with your item information. When editing the template, keep the following tips in mind:
  • Don’t change any of the information in the Item ID column or delete empty columns.
  • Leaving the category field blank will leave the item as Uncategorized.
  • New categories will be created for any new values identified in the Category column.
  • Leaving the price field blank will create a variable priced item.
  • Leaving the modifier field blank will default the modifier to off. Place a “Y” in the appropriate Modifier Set column if you’d like a specific modifier applied to an item.
  1. Save the edited file to your computer.
  2. Drag and drop the file into the upload area or click select it from your computer > Upload.
  3. Review your changes and click Confirm to upload your new item library.
    :slight_smile:

Hi Bryan. This is one way but if I wanted to use the apis then what method should I follow. From your earlier response I gather that I have to create some modifier list as well. Could you walk me through the process.

Yeah, you’ll need to create the modifiers and lists prior to adding them to the items on creation. Once you have all the modifiers and lists created you’ll then be able to create the catalog objects with the generated IDs for the modifiers. :slight_smile: