Is it possible to create a discount on a customer's subscription for a single billing period?

I’m wondering if it is possible to create a discount on a customer’s subscription for a single billing period? If yes, how might I do this programmatically via the subscriptions API?

Many thanks

The Subscriptions API does allow you to update a subscription with a price override. You can use that to adjust the price of a subscription like a discount for a billing period. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Bryan-Square thanks for your response. I’ve read the docs for the Subscriptions API and am familiar with the price override mechanism.

Example:
A seller has a subscription plan with an endless phase running on a monthly billing interval charging $10. To do a discount I can do a price override down to $5. However, from what I’m reading in the docs, if I only wanted to do that discount for one billing cycle I would then have to do another price override to take it back up to $10. Is that right?

I guess I’m asking whether there is any way to do a price override for a single billing interval, not for the entire phase, so that I wouldn’t have to then do another price override afterwards.

You are correct. You would need to price override the subscription twice. There currently isn’t a price override for a single billing cycle. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok thanks for the info. I hope that feature can make its way into the API at some point, it would be a very nice thing to be able to do.

It is possible to create a discount on a customer’s subscription for a single billing period. You would need to create a new subscription plan that has the discounted amount, and then apply that plan to the customer’s account. The customer would need to be on the new plan for the billing period in which you want the discount to apply.

@freddiec341 thanks for the advice. This is for a 3rd party app, so we’re not looking to have to monitor customer subscriptions, and make multiple calls to change the subscription plan onto the new one and then back onto the old one once the billing cycle has completed.

We’re kind of looking more along the lines of the Coupon object that Stripe’s API has so that we can apply a one-time discount without having to change the subscription plan.