How do I take an app fee from customer instead of merchant?

We are developing an app that allows merchants to sign up with us via OAuth and customers to purchase items from merchants using our app. We want to include a variable app fee, as described in the Payment API’s Create Payment endpoint, but we want to pass the fee along to the customer, ensuring that merchants receive their full payment, no matter the amount of the app fee. We would also like to be able to calculate this amount prior to payment processing to allow the customer the knowledge of how much they are being charged.

Is this possible? Currently, it appears that app fees are taken out of the merchant’s payment, thus reducing how much they receive on a given order.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

:wave: Currently, the app fees are taken out of the merchant payment. You can programmatically add the additional fee to the amount being charged to pass the fee to the customer to ensure that the merchant gets the full amount. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m somewhat disappointed to hear that, but I appreciate your timely response nonetheless.

@Bryan-Square Do you know of any plans to extend the API to accommodate different fee models?

At this time we don’t have public roadmaps for enhancements for different fee models. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Bryan :smile: I was wondering what you meant by this. The createPayment endpoint does not allow me to have a different “amountMoney” than what the order was. How would you add a fee for the customer to pay? @Bryan-Square

:wave: If the order isn’t paid for it can still be updated with additional fee you’d like to collect which will then allow you to increase the amount charged in the payment request. It would require the calculation of the additional fee and then a call to UpdateOrder prior to making the CreatePayment request with the updated amount. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

your information is very interesting and a good question but i am not idea.

Ok, that makes sense! I was going to use the service_charges field. Does that seem okay to do? Or were you meaning more along the lines of creating a new item on the merchant account and charging that as the fee?

Either way, I was going to offset the cost by adding an app_fee_money of the same amount. That way, my developer account gets the app_fee_money and the merchant gets the service_charge I set.

Either way works. You can add it as a line item or as a service_charge. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes