Hi there, hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.
I’m taking on a client who currently uses Square for inventory management and in person sales.
How do I take their existing inventory on the Square platform and associate it with the Catalog and Inventory APIs.
Calling both the Inventory API and Catalog API for the sellers account will pull all the existing catalog objects and associated inventory.
Thank you for the speedy response.
I have been experimenting with a test application associated with the sellers account. Is there a way to access or migrate their existing inventory being returned in production mode to the sandbox mode?
Thanks in advance,
You can export the Catalog and import it to sandbox. Below are our instructions for export/import:
Using the item export tool, you can export your item library from your online Square Dashboard into an Excel (.xlsx) or CSV (.csv) file. Here’s how:
- Sign in to your dashboard and click Items.
- Click Actions > Export Library at the top-right of the page.
- Select whether you’d like to export the file as Excel (recommended) or CSV. A spreadsheet will then download to your computer, which you can open using Excel or another common spreadsheet software.
With the Item Import Tool, easily add new items to your library using an Excel (.xlsx) or CSV template.
To get started with Item Import Tool, follow the steps below:
- Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Actions > Import Library.
- Select Modify Item Library to add new items and update existing items, or Replace Item Library to delete all existing items and replace them with your uploaded items.
- Click Next > Click Download your item library to download your current inventory Excel (.xlsx) or .CSV report Export. Select between Excel (recommended) or CSV.
- Open the file saved to your computer in a spreadsheet program.
- Fill in the template columns with your item information. When editing the template, keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t change any of the information in the Item ID column or delete empty columns.
- Leaving the category field blank will leave the item as Uncategorized.
- New categories will be created for any new values identified in the Category column.
- Leaving the price field blank will create a variable priced item.
- Leaving the modifier field blank will default the modifier to off. Place a “Y” in the appropriate Modifier Set column if you’d like a specific modifier applied to an item.
- Save the edited file to your computer.
- Drag and drop the file into the upload area or click select it from your computer > Upload.
- Review your changes and click Confirm to upload your new item library.
Note: If you need to revert to a recent version of your Item Library, you can undo an item import from the Items page of your online Square Dashboard > Actions > Undo Catalog.
Using Undo Catalog will not impact stock counts. However, stock actions relating to Inventory tracking (on/off toggle), inventory alerts, Default Unit Cost, and Default Vendor information will be rolled back.