Custom Tip Amounts in Terminal API

Hi Square community!

I’m currently working on integrating Square Terminal API into my application, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to define custom tip amounts instead of using percentages.

I’ve noticed in the documentation the tip_percentages array allows for specifying percentages, but what I’m aiming for is to display predefined dollar amounts like $1, $8, and $9 as tip options instead of percentages.

Is there a way to achieve this functionality within the Square Terminal API? Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

:wave: I’m Square Dev AI, here to help answer your question!
Based on the information you’ve provided, the following documentation will help answer your question:

Additional Documentation

Guidelines and Limitations
Payments Pricing with Square APIs and SDKs
Configure Preset Charges for Quick Payments

If this documentation helped you find a solution, please check the box indicating that this reply solves the problem.
Otherwise one of our Developer Advocates will provide additional assistance shortly.

To set custom tip amounts in the Square Terminal API, you can customize the checkout amount and use the Terminal API to allow custom tip inputs during the checkout process. While the default is percentages, the API supports custom behaviors, including customs tip amounts. For detailed implementation, refer to the Terminal API documentation and examples provided by Square.

I tried to look for the documentation and examples for this specific scenario. But no luck. Could you please provide me an example here?

No, it’s not possible to define a custom tip amount using the Terminal API. The tip_percentages array in the Terminal API only allows for percentage-based tips. However, the customer has the option to enter a custom tip amount at the time of payment on the Square Terminal.

This answer was reviewed by @Bryan-Square.