Can a 3rd party app receive itemized order information from Square POS app?

Hi! I am trying to develop a mobile app that can check each order received through Square POS system, and check if each order contains a specific item we are looking for. For example, let’s say there is a coffee shop selling a cafe latte with either dairy milk (basic option) or almond milk (mod option). We want to make an app that can count the # of almond milk orders placed through Square POS system. Is this possible? If yes, can we learn how? (just briefly)

We don’ want to make people place an order through our app. We just want to let store owners download our app in their Square POS system, and open our app while they are receiving order. Then, our app uses different Square APIs to receive order information (maybe from Square POS app)? Please let me know.

Best, Taemin Kim

:wave: Yes, with our Orders API, and Catalog API you can receive all the order itemized details with our APIs. Your application can also subscribe to payments webhooks. So after every paid for order a payment event will fire. The event will have the order_id in it. When you receive the event you can call our APIs to get all the details of the order and the items. :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, thank you so much for this answer. May I ask a few more follow-up questions?
We would like to display a QR code about that almond milk’s carbon footprint in our app. What we want to do is to let store owners get their orders received through Square POS app, then, our app detects almond milk (following the method you’ve explained above) and generates QR code in our app. And, the store owner open our app, then, our app display a QR code right away so that consumers can scan it with their phone.

Having said that, I am wondering if store owners can “open” our app in Square Register. I know that Square Stand or Reader is simply using the store owner’s tablet PC, so, I guess they can simply download our app through Apple (or Google) appstore in their tablet PC. And when the order is received through their Square POS app, our app takes the event, and detects almond milk, and display QR code in our app. Then, the store owner can simply open our app in the same tablet. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

However, I am wondering if this is possible in Square Register. As far as I know, Square Register do not “open” (although store owners can see the data) any 3rd party app on its display. (Please correct me if I am wrong). I know the store owner can still integrate our app through their Square Dashboard, but they would need a separate computer or tablet to display their square dashboard through which they will display our QR code, am I correct?

Best, Taemin Kim

The only problem I see is you wouldn’t be able to open your app once in the Square app. There isn’t a way to integrate with the Square app to know what orders being checked out and trigger actions from a 3rd party app. Your app could read all the data from webhooks and APIs when the payments are complete but there’s no way to intercept a checkout in flight. :slightly_smiling_face:

I see. Then, I guess we cannot use QR code, but we can still source order information from cloud afterwards, and tell which user have made that order using their phone number or email registered in Square POS. Is this possible in your opinion?

If the seller is collecting customer information and adding the customer profile to the sale it will be available with the APIs. If a customer profile isn’t created and added to a sale there’s a possibility there won’t be a customer_id associated to the sale. :slightly_smiling_face:

Perfect! Thank you so much, Bryan!

Can we get webhook or API access for open tickets created on Square POS?
I saw Square KDS or Fresh KDS (3rd parth app) can shows the Tickets created on Squree POS, so i believe there will be a way to get those events and data.

At this time the ability to get open order from the POS via API or webhook isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: