Blocking AMEX card type

Good afternoon, I looked through the API but was unable to figure out if this is possible, My company would like to prevent AMEX payments on our terminals when we create a terminal checkout. Is there a way todo this?

Thank you
-Ash

Currently, there isn’t a way to block a brand of card at the time of payment. You could complete the payment with autocomplete set to false and void it if the payment was completed with an AMEX card.

Also whats the reason that you want to block AMEX cards? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for the response!

My accounts team believes that there are higher fees for Amex payments and wants to avoid taking that hit if possible

With Square the fee’s are the same across all brands of cards. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have relayed that back to my accounts team, Thanks! one less thing I have to do! hah

Hi Bryan,

My accounts team got back to me with the following image , It does appear that we pay a higher fee for AMEX, Is there a link you could provide that explains the fee’s structure?

One of those payments is an API payment vs an in person payment. Those fees are different for all brands. Here’s the Payments Pricing with Square APIs and SDKs. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you!, I have pointed the accounts team to the relevant information.