API Shipping Costs

Hello

Where do I enter shipping costs? So it appears with the transaction info within the portal. I don’t see it anywhere in orders or payments.

My searches have not been fruitful either.

Thank you

1 Like

OK, so I’ve tried added the shipping costs as a service_charge, as a taxes, and as a line_item, none of them worked.

I found this link: Setup Shipping Areas …But looking through the account portal there is no “Shipping” link, see attached screenshots:

I figured I may be able to UID link to the order once it’s added through the portal…?

This is what I am trying to replicate with the API:

Thank you!

1 Like

:wave: Currently, the Shipping Areas that you provided is only available with the Square online store and isn’t currently available with our APIs.

Is this going to be available via the API? It’s the little things that easily make the 360 view and processes incomplete.

We do plan on expanding the available options however we don’t have a public timeline to when it will be available. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Bryan-Square, hope you are well, have there been any changes regarding this?

Otherwise, what would be the best way to add shipping costs to an order?

For instance, in my case I’m using the calculateOrder endpoint to display the total amount in the shopping cart, and orders above a certain amount get free shipping, say > 20

Hello everyone, Im Jordan with the fulfillments expansion team at Square. We are working on building Shipping Profiles API in Square’s platform and configuration of platform profiles by sellers in Square dashboard in the next few quarters. Shipping profiles will allow sellers to configure shipping rates for orders based on the customers destination address and will let them define levels of service available. At first we will offer free and flat rate shipping rate configuration. Note: this not yet an integration with shipping label creation- only configuring what sellers want to charge to buyers.

The APIs will also expose a rate quote endpoint that will return many shipping rates for the order.

For example, you might want to offer “Free Ground Shipping” or “USPS First Class” for flat $20.

I would like to understand more about what the folks here are trying to do, @NoDoze, @Spiderwoman and @specificityy. Can you tell me what kind of integrations you work on? Are you willing to participate in a developer interview?

Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Jordan, thanks for the roadmap sneak peek, that sounds like the problem I’m trying to solve. I need different shipping rates and later on, integration with shipping labels.

I’m up for a dev interview. I’m a tech guy at piqant.co.uk, an ecommerce artisan coffee marketplace. We had been using Stripe to process payments but now that we’re opening a physical store wanted a provider with a robust POS system to save us some coding. Hence, we’re migrating all payment-order related features to Square (loayalty, giftcards, ordering in advance).

For online payments, I’m using the /online-checkout/payment-links endpoint passing in line items to create an order on the fly, and the /orders/calculate to calculate and display shopping cart totals.

It’s great that you guys are working on these features, but in the meantime, what would be the best way to include the shipping costs into the order when creating a payment link? should I create a dummy line item for the shipping?

Thanks,

@specificityy We recommend using service charges.

curl https://connect.squareupsandbox.com/v2/online-checkout/payment-links \
  -X POST \
  -H 'Square-Version: 2022-08-23' \
  -H 'Authorization: Bearer <ACCESS-TOKEN-HERE>' \
  -H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
  -d '{
    "idempotency_key": "4e4d7023-f0aa-4c0b-9e76-21b9674e61eb",
    "checkout_options": {
      "ask_for_shipping_address": true,
      "allow_tipping": false
    },
    "order": {
      "service_charges": [
        {
          "amount_money": {
            "amount": 100,
            "currency": "USD"
          },
          "name": "Shipping",
          "calculation_phase": "TOTAL_PHASE"
        }
      ],
      "location_id": <LOCATION-ID>,
      "line_items": [
        {
          "quantity": "1",
          "name": "Item",
          "base_price_money": {
            "amount": 100,
            "currency": "USD"
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  }'

Thanks, that works :ok_hand:

Hi @Jordan, do you have an update on when a shipping API will be available for users? I am beginning the process of providing the option for next day shipping for one of our products and would love to use Square to provide rates for that.

Any updates on this feature? This is much needed.

At this time we don’t have any updates on this particular feature. We hope to have more for you in the future. :slightly_smiling_face: