Terminal startup error - not connected to a network

I have 2 windows pos stations with static private ips
At each station I have a square terminal also with a static ip and hard wired with a “hub for square” to a switch that everything including the server are connected to,

Each morning when I power up everything the windows machines are ready and can load the pos software from the server connected to the same switch.

However, randomly, and more often than not, one or both square terminals will display the red banner at the top that says something like: “You must be connected to a network”

The fix is easy but aggravating - unplug the network cable for the complaining terminal from the switch and plug it back in. Instantly, the error clears and off we go on our day.

Alternatively, we can unplug the usb-c from the terminal and replug it but we try not to do that because I don’t want to wear out that usb-c connector on the terminal as the terminals are rather expensive to me. I can re-crimp a new worn rj-45 easy.

There is some race condition at boot up. We get lots of updates but this is never addressed.
There is a thread over at the square seller’s community board so it’s not just me.

Can someone pull some strings to fix this?

This is in API mode btw.

TIA
Ron

What’s the OS version of the Terminals your using? :slightly_smiling_face:

I shall check tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.

Both terminal OS versions are: 5.23.0073

Sometimes in the morning both will work without error, it’s rare and elicits a Bronx cheer from those around. :slight_smile:

I uploaded a video of the one that decided to misbehave this morning where I replug the usb-c cable to clear the error condition as a youtube short. I was the only one here and replugging the usb-c with one hand while holding the phone with the other was challenging but at the end you can see the error “magically” clear when the usb cable is re-plugged in.

:Ron

Thanks for all the information. I’ve shared it with the team and they’re looking into it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Squeak Squeak Squeak.

Many a update has come but still the same.
Sometimes it sees connectivity at startup, sometimes not.
Sometimes it’s just this terminal or that one, sometimes it’s both.

On real good days they both power up and go.
That gives rise to the vain hope that it’s finally fixed.

How far are they from the network device they’re connecting to? Also is it 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? :slightly_smiling_face:

They are both hard wired with their own “Hub for square”.
That’s how plugging and unplugging them clears the error.

One is connected with 3 feet of cable the other 20’
Both are paired with windows 7 machines that are also hardwired but suffer no connectivity
issues.

There is a startup problem it’s just being ignored for some reason.

The switch is in the same room here as the registers are.
Computer Service in the back, CBD store in front.

Okay, thanks for the additional information. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, the error is orange now, that’s pree neat.

Are you still experiencing network issues? Whats the device_id? :slightly_smiling_face:

There are two. One or both or neither will post this error upon power up depending on the phase of the moon (it’s that “random”) but it’s a rare day when both are happy upon power up.

#1 - 925CS108A4001415
#2 - 126CS145A5000037

Okay, do you have the time that the last error appeared? :slightly_smiling_face:

Today. 5/11/2023 pos device_id #2

Every evening I power everything down including the terminals.
Every morning around 9:00 MDT we power up the store.
I check both for the error and one or both will always have it displayed unless by some miracle they don’t.

Again: to clear the error, one just needs to unplug the terminal’s cat6 connection at the switch and that fixes it - until the next day.
Alternatively, one can unplug and replug the usb-c on the square terminal but I don’t want to wear that jack out.

When you say you power everything down does that include the internet as well? Or is the internet on all the time? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, I don’t power down anything but the store.
The switch and servers and internet are all “in the back” and run 24/7.

I’m a network professional so the obvious things are generally not an issue
The terminals are using static IPs from the old days before we could query them. FWIW.

From my experience with embedded microcontrollers this is a power up race sequence because taking away and re-giving it it’s network connection after post is fixing it. This is a post problem with the firmware.by some

I see that your POS stations also suffer from this as evidenced by some
poor normals over in the sellers forum.

It’s not just my stuff. no.

It’s not all doom though, once their up I have had no issues to complain about
Cha-ching, Cha-Ching!! $$$ :slight_smile: