Terminal Checkout.status gets stuck in PENDING state for a long time

Details

We are a 3rd Party POS provider using Square Terminals for out payment provider.

The checkout object remains in the PENDING state for a long time eg. 17secs, 11secs, 18secs. Physically this has the awkward effect of a staff member pressing ‘Charge’ but having nothing showing up on Terminal. They wait for the blue screen to flash up showing the amount to charge, which to my knowledge corresponds to getting to the IN_PROGRESS state.

Sometimes cancelling the terminal checkout and pressing ‘Charge’ seems to fix this but take that as a rough heuristic. Sometimes it has no effect at all.

Examples

Stuck for 17secs
Timestamp: 2023-04-10T20:34:15.629496Z
CheckoutId: 8NHtcK4MchnqO
DeviceId: 945CS126A5001127

Stuck for 11secs
Timestamp: 2023-04-10T20:34:36.983750492Z
CheckoutId: yFcyOfloj2WqO

Stuck for 18secs
Timestamp: 2023-04-10T22:09:37.045444Z
CheckoutId: fqGqFZgTvjiqO

Developer Stuff

Application ID: sq0idp-rxeHDQ_eRs_RqWeraTTIhg

We have tried switching over Terminals (2 in restaurant) & updating to latest firmware version but the issue still persists.

Don’t know if they’re related but we also experience long IN_PROGRESS state too (1min +)

Running Terminals over WIFI and have NBN (Australia) and backup 4G SIM card in a DrayTek router for failover when NBN drops out.

Any help on why this happens would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for sharing all the detailed information. I’m sharing this with the team. Also if there is a delay have you tried tapping on the screen of the Terminal if theres a delay? That has sometimes been known to help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can you upload the support ledgers? You can do this by:

1. Swiping the left edge to the right on the Powered by Square screen
  2. Selecting Support
  3. Selecting Troubleshooting
  4. First selecting “Upload Support Ledger”
  5. Second “Sending Diagnostic Report” (This may take a few minutes and is best done before or after open hours)
  6. Then return to their previous state by pressing the back arrow, swiping from the left edge again, and selecting Checkout. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the fast reply, Bryan. We definitely appreciate it!

Have just uploaded i) Support Ledger and ii) Diagnostic Report

Hope that helps with assessing the situation :crossed_fingers:

Great! Thank you! The team is looking into this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan. Just following up on how progress is going with this case. Any news?

According to the team from the ledger that you uploaded it shows that the Terminal was disconnecting and re-connecting to WIFI a lot which is causing the delay. Are there a lot of devices on the network and does the location of the Terminal have good WIFI strength? :slightly_smiling_face:

Morning Bryan,

Thanks for the information regarding WiFi behaviour. To troubleshoot further I will get a Square Terminal Hub and try using Ethernet instead. Hopefully it will prevent the PENDING-state-lag associated with WiFi connectivity issues. Cheers for all the help!

That sounds like a great! :slightly_smiling_face: