Terminal API and Square Reader Attached via Android Phone

Could someone confirm to me that it’s possible to use the Terminal and Devices APIs to take contactless payments using the Square Reader attached to an Android phone (as opposed to the standalone terminal)?

Is anyone else successfully using this combination?

Thanks
MikeW

Hi @Reklaw-UK welcome to the forums!

This is not possible; the Terminal API only supports the Square Terminal. If you would like to integrate with a Square Reader, then you would need to look at the POS API or Reader SDK.

Thanks, obviously a misunderstaning on my part. I have a terminal I will try with that.

MikeW

I tried replacing the square reader with the square terminal thinking it will handle the totals sent from my app to the square POS app plus I would have printing and offline approvals but my attempt was unsuccessful.

I really need offline approval for card payments with the Square Reader when on odd occasions my internet connection fails. My users (taxi drivers) in these odd occasions would be ok in risking a chargeback as long as the POS app prompted the driver that he can execute offline as card not present.

Poor internet connection can happen approximately twice a month and in those situations it is a real bad experience that undermines the whole setup. Having offline approval that the driver authorises on an individually basis would be great for the square reader.

Unfortunately, offline mode isn’t currently available with our in person developer solutions. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: