Square Reader Abroad

Ok here is a strange one. I’m a dual national Brit living in the USA. I’m running a business in both the UK and USA. However I’ve only just merged out into the world of selling at fairs and shows etc.

Im considering purchasing the square stand for my ipad as I use that more for the business than anything else. I’m aware that I have to have two separate accounts for each country due to restrictions etc. I have two separate bank accounts (one in each country) so that’s not a problem either. My question is, would the card reader only physically work in the country of origin? (where it was bought) Or could I use the same reader just sign in on my different accounts? I did read (somewhere) that the hardware is not “recommended” but I’m sure thats just due to certain materials etc being allowed in each country. Will the card reader still work is my question?

:wave: With Square hardware it’s not compatible across all our supported regions. You’ll only be able to use the hardware in the region it was purchased. :slightly_smiling_face:

Even though I use a different account? It would block the purchase or not work at all?

Yes, even though you use a different account. I believe it wouldn’t allow the payment to be processed. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s frustrating! Sumup allows you to use the same hardware from what I’ve seen. Is this something that square is planning on incorporating sometime in the future?

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: