Question about gift card activity and buyer_payment_instrument_ids

I am thinking that I will have to write a script to use the API to migrate some digital gift cards we have in our wordpress/woocommerce because they have alphanumeric numbers and the customer support import option will only import numeric gift cards.

Since these have already been purchased in our Woocommerce/wordpress previously, I don’t want to create an order for them…

So my current thinking is to create gift card, then activate using the
buyer_payment_instrument_ids: ‘cash’

My question since I’d prefer not test this in production - will this show up in reporting as sales income? or does it leave it out of there since it’s considered an external sale?

Any other gotchas I should be on the lookout for?

It wouldn’t show up in any of the sales reports since it’s not a payment_id that was used to make the purchase. :slightly_smiling_face:

If I am running a loop to create and then activate about 800 gift cards (so 1600 api calls) is there a rate limiting I would run into in sandbox and production?

Yes, all of our endpoints have rate limits but we don’t document the limits. We encourage you to handle the limit gracefully by building a retry mechanism. This mechanism should have an exponential backoff schedule to reduce requests when volume is necessary. Also some randomness wouldn’t hurt to avoid a thundering herd effect. :slightly_smiling_face: