List Devices api seller-specified name

In the List Devices api response the ‘name’ attribute description says, “A seller-specified name for the device”. I was wondering where the name is specified in order to change this. All of my paired devices show the name as being ‘Square Terminal’ and a random number which I did not specify.

Were the device codes created with the Devices API. That’s where you’ll set the name when creating the device code. If they were created in the Dashboard then Square sets the value. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am specifying the name when creating a device code but that name is not being set for the terminal device when using that device code to pair it.

This is the expected behavior. The name that’s set when creating the device code with the API is different then the name that’s set on the device itself. You’ll have to set that on the device by swiping right on the Terminal. The go to:

• Settings>Hardware>General

There you’ll be able to set the device name. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the quick response Bryan!
Can we make this a feature request to be able to specify a devices name when creating a device code?
This would make scalability much simpler when an organization has hundreds of devices that otherwise need to be manually setup and managed.

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: