Giftcard QR Code

Hi all,

We are selling online gift cards and creating them using the gift cards api to be redeemable in the Square app.

Customers have the option of printing the voucher through our system and ideally it would have a QR code (as per our non Square vouchers) that could be scanned within the Square app.

We have tried the gan and card id but the Square app says “Invalid gift card scanned”.

Is this possible and what value should the QR code contain?

Thanks - Simon

:wave: At this time QR codes for gift cards aren’t currently available. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there any other method to redeem eGift cards on Square register, like barcode scanned with barcode scanner attached to it or NFC?
I can also see that eGift cards are stored as Card on File.

1 Like

Scanning would be a lot quicker than a cashier entering a 16 digit number with people in a queue…

I agree.
We are also searching for a solution to recognize eGift Card via automatic input (scanner, reader, something).

This is a very popular feature request and we hope to have more options for you soon, so thanks for your continued patience. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Bryan-Square can you take another look at this question?

It seems that square’s physical gift cards can use QR codes, and eGift cards use barcodes - yet there is no info in the docs for those of us creating gift cards via the API on how to generate a compatible qr code or barcode.

I suspect it’s pretty straightforward, please advise on what data needs to be encoded to make it work.

Thanks!

:wave: While creating a bar code and QR code for gift cards is available in our first party products it’s not yet available with the Gift Cards API. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Bryan. What I really am after is just details about the format and data encoded rather than official tools to create the graphics. I highly doubt your system is set up to only work for the non API cards.

Not to worry, I think I figured it out myself.

For anyone else that stumbles along here, it appears the barcodes are using “Code 128” format and the data is SQGC://1234567890123456 where the number is the 16 digit GAN. I have not been able to check a QR code yet as I don’t have a physical square gift card handy, but I suspect it’s likely encoded that same bit of data.

1 Like

I’m also interested in creating QR codes via the API, please send info if possible!

Currently, the ability to create QR codes for gift cards generated by Square isn’t currently available. This is a very popular feature request and we hope to have more for you soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan, is it possible to create QR codes for discount codes? I’m not sure how different this is to gift cards, but I would love to be able to represent discount codes with QR codes that the merchant can scan on a user’s phone and then auto apply it to their checkout.

Currently, discount codes are available with Square APIs. This is a very popular feature request and we hope to have more for you soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, is that “are” or “aren’t”? I believe I was once told there is a beta program for APIs to create discount codes.

Sorry, “aren’t” is what that’s supposed to be. :upside_down_face:

Here’s something that might help: Smart Tap: NFC Pass acceptance - #3 by Marlin87

It’s worth noting that Square’s own GiveAndGetLocal website which allows purchasing gift cards of any given merchant delivers the gift card with a QR code along with a barcode and along with the GAN.

The QR code can be easily decoded and it points to a url. If Square can simply officially document and support this url, then us developers can use open libraries to create our own QR codes that point to the appropriate url. :pray:

We don’t currently have guidance on the URL however you can create a barcode with sqgc://GAN and that will work for scanning. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Bryan,
Should gift card barcodes work with Square Register?

I have the Code128 barcode accessible from https://squareup.com/gift/*merchantid*/check-balance and I have confirmed that it matches the sqgc://*gan* pattern.

But I am unable to get the Square Register hardware to recognize it when scanned.
I get the Invalid gift card scanned message in Square Register.

I am really trying to avoid having my staff need to type in 16+ digit numbers to redeem a gift card.

Thanks

Yes, they do work with the Square POS. What’s being populated when you scan the gift card? :slightly_smiling_face: