Customer Creation Email / Marketing

Hi there,

Right now, I just have some a very basic html/js form that allows customers to sign up and “learn more” about the progress of our business. As it stands, there is no automated welcome email, and seemingly no way for me to do this within Square Marketing. I noticed that there is a Customer Segment called “Email Subscribers”, my question is, in an effort to provide some sort of “Unsubscribe” link, is there an API call to remove users from a customer segment? Should I just make a custom group called “My Emailing List” and have an unsubscribe button that removes them from that list? I’m just trying to avoid purchasing any other products just to accomplish this.

My setup (if it helps)

Sign Up Form => API Gateway => Lambda Handler (Proxy) => SES for sending emails (The goal is to do all the marketing through Square, however I can get by with the Welcome email in SES).

Edit: Probably should add what I want to achieve:

1. User fills out the form with First / Last / Email.
  2. Sends a welcome email with unsubscribe button.
  3. Unsubscribe should persist for any future Square Marketing emails, while still being a Customer.

Thanks for any input!!

:wave: I’m happy to help but it’s unclear where this link to unsubscribe is going to go? If you’re using Square Marketing there is already the option to unsubscribe. Where are you looking to put the link to unsubscribe?

Hi Bryan,

Right now I have a sign up form that uses the Square Customers API to insert a customer. I use API gateway / lambda function on the backend to make this call to Square. With Square Marketing there does not seem to be a clear way to send a welcome email just because a new customer was added, only when a purchase was made (or so I think).

Since there is no way to send an email when a new customer is added (again this is just the way I understand it) I could fire off an email from AWS SES to send a welcome email from within the lambda. In that email, I’d like to still have an unsubscribe feature.

Then all subsequent marketing emails could come from Square Marketing.

Just to be clear again the workflow I’m trying to achieve:

1. User signs up for “more info” using some custom JS form.
  2. Adds customers to Customers collection.
  3. User is sent an email thanking them for signing up, in that email they have the ability to opt out of further emails from my company.

Thank you!
Brandon

Unfortunately the ability to update the customer profile with the API to be removed from the Email Subscribers list isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would definitely like that feature, thanks Bryan.

Apologies for the delayed response - I had missed one part of the discussion when I reviewed earlier.

As Bryan mentioned, we don’t have the ability to add/remove customers from the Email Subscribers list over the API. But you could create a new group for your custom purpose (CreateCustomerGroup API), and whenever you get a webhook for customer create, add the customer to this group (AddGroupToCustomer). When you get the unsubscribe notification, you can remove the customer from this group (RemoveGroupFromCustomer).

At any item you can retrieve all the customers in this custom group using the Search endpoint with the group ID as the query (query param in SearchCustomers)

Immanuel