A list of Webhook events trigered by POS

I’m going through the Webhook event definitions, and I’m coming across sentences like.
“Creating an order in the Point of Sale app will not publish this event.”

Is there a list of the events that are triggered by the POS, or do I have to go over each 1:1

It also appears I can get some events from the POS via V1 webhooks but not v2. So one list that combines both versions would be amazing.

1 Like

:wave: Currently, only creating an order in the Point of Sale won’t trigger an event. All other actions on the Point of Sale will trigger events.

What events are you not able to get with v2 webhooks? We don’t recommend using v1 webhooks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So I got unlucky and looked at the only event which isn’t POS driven? Just my luck.:slight_smile:

I was looking at order.create because I understand webhooks to be slow, so this event might have the greatest probability of code reacting in time and the customer will still be in front of the salesperson

Im looking for ways to interrupt the process when using square POS when certain conditions are met.

Do you have any idea if these might be possible or perhaps your own suggestion?
Ideas:
Capture a webhook and push a notification to the POS (would need to be fast enough to complete before the customer pays and walks away).
Have a QR code containing that orders number printed on the receipt.

Yep, looks like you came across the only event that’s not trigged from the POS.

What notifications are you looking to push to the POS? Currently pushing notifications isn’t available.

As for QR codes it’s not currently possible to generate them with our APIs. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi. I came across the same problem. I’d like to receive events of bought items as they are being scanned at POS in real time. As far as I understand, Orders API does trigger those events, but POS does not. Will this be fixed in future revisions of POS software?

At this time order events triggered from the POS aren’t currently available. We currently don’t have a public roadmap for if or when this functionality will be added. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Any update on when this feature will be added? I am trying to display all the pending orders on a TV display, and need orders created from POS to ping the webhook so I can record and track the fulfillment. This is basic functionality that is expected from Square POS.

At this time we don’t have a public roadmap for features like this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is it possible to track the payment.created webhook to track the in-store orders placed on POS?

Yes, you can track all orders placed on the POS with the payment.created event. However that event will only trigger when an order is paid for. All open tickets on the POS won’t be accessible till the order is paid for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Following up on that, can I track all paid orders, regardless if they were paid on POS or online ( square payment SDK)?

My use case: A customer-facing TV screen at each location, that shows the status of each order for the respective location. I have a webhook in the backend which tracks the orders.created event, but if I replace it to payment.created - I will be able to track both online and POS order, correct?

Once a customer picks up the order, will the [order.fulfillment.updated] webhook event fire for all orders, regardless if it was POS or Online order?

Yes, you can track payments across all channels that Square processes payments. A payment event will be triggered for all payments with Square. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey! Same here, we need to receive when an order has been created (via webhook) for an internal kitchen operations improvement tool.

Is there no way to obtain that information? It’s something very basic, what is the reason for not having that? What is the limit of API Requests? Since the only option is to do an order search via API every X minutes, but it seems crazy, isn’t it?

At this time orders webhooks won’t trigger from POS payments. They only get triggered from orders created with the API. You’ll want to listen to payments webhooks. The order_id will be in the payment event. You can use that ID to call RetrieveOrder for the details. :slightly_smiling_face:

But as I read, there are a problem with open tables because there are no payment yet… so, we can’t get all orders in any way. This is a big problem for us and if we didn’t solve it for our restaurants we’ll can’t continue working with square only for this reason… :tired_face: … really no solution there?

At this time there isn’t a way to programmatically get those orders. We hope to have more for you in the future. :slightly_smiling_face: