WooCommerce plug-in Rate Limit Error

Hi there. We’ve identified what seems like a major issue with the Square Plugin for WooCommerce that is wreaking havoc upon our eCommerce Store.

As of a couple weeks ago, we started experiencing consistent Rate limit errors:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.17.04 PM

This shouldn’t be an issue with the volume of orders we have on our site, typically between 60–100 per day. Upon further inspection, we noticed the plugin is not using our account-specific API key, rather accessing our account via username + password and using some other (we assume plugin-specific) API key. If this is a common key among all 90k or so installs of this plug-in, it might explain why the calls are being limited?

Obviously, WooCommerce could change the way their plugin is developed, but Square could also increase (or remove) the limits to whatever API key(s) has/have been allocated to the plugin.

Not sure what the exact solution is here, but we’ve already piggybacked on some folks raising the issue on the Woo side of things. Hoping to raise it here as well in case Square is a) not aware of the issue or b) can prioritize a fix for this and, either way, connect with the folks at Woo to iron out a solution ASAP.

Any insight into or input from Square team would be greatly appreciated!

The team is looking into this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you sir! Please let us know what you find out and if/when a fix is put in place!

This issue has now been resolved. :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, that was fast! Are you able to share any details about what was happening and what the fix was? Any assurance that it won’t happen again in the future? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I’m not able to share internal details about the issue. We must maintain confidentiality to ensure the security and integrity of our systems. Our team conducted a thorough investigation and implemented the necessary fixes to mitigate the issue.

While we cannot guarantee that issues will never arise in the future, please be assured that we have robust monitoring and rapid response protocols in place to minimize any potential impact. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah, the old “we can neither deny nor confirm existence of the issue” haha… no worries. Just glad to know the issue is resolved… it’s going to make the lives of 6 or 8 people in my client’s operations team VERY happy. Cheers!

This issue does not seem to be completely resolved, on checkout page in WooCommerce site my client’s customers are seeing a blank box in place of the Card Details fields and error 429 in the console. Urgently need assistance for this

What is there site domain? :slightly_smiling_face:

It is https://budgetseeds.co.uk

I just tested and it worked as expected for me.