When will the Purchase Orders API be available?

Hello! I’m trying to build some intelligence tools on top of Square to help merchants understand the amount of inventory they’ve committed to; including inventory on the shelf and promised inventory via purchase orders.

I was diving through the API this morning; but do not see the possibility to pull information for Purchase Orders. I could screen-scrape this information but I’d rather not do that.

When might the Purchase Orders API become available? Simply listing existing ones with line items would be great.

1 Like

:wave: At this time we don’t have a public roadmap for purchase orders being available in with our APIs. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, we need to create purchase orders using API, or at least get the purchase info with a webhook. Is any of these possible today? if not, is it already in any API roadmap? And any ETA?

At this time we don’t currently have a public roadmap for feature releases like this. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Bumping this topic - I see a lot of progress on multiple API surfaces, but this thread has gone stale. Is there a planned RESTful or GraphQL API to manage purchase orders? We’re increasingly looking outside of Square to solve the mechanics of our business, and I cannot even integrate with Square without being able to mimic what the UI is doing. For example:

For @Sbbb ’s use case, a GET call to https://squareup.com/api/v2/inventory/purchase-orders?limit=50 should do the trick. Getting detail for a specific PO is simply a subsequent call to …/purchase-orders/{ID} from the previous call.

I’ll test this shortly with a RAW API call, but this looks like a documentation/support challenge, not a feature development challenge, is that right?

1 Like

I ran a snippet using the Request Builder factory from the Node SDK, and it returns a 200 (ok) but no data, so I’m assuming that either:

• Authentication is successful, but using an API Token isn’t supported or
  • There are additional parameters/headers required to make this work

The “sharp edges” and missing features of Square’s integrations are frustrating, as is the speed of the UI when trying to move quickly. If the entire UI surface isn’t supported for integration, we’ll have to start looking for other tools to achieve our goals: operating a sustainable, modern business without spending a ton on labor and wasted time.

1 Like

@The5thStreetMarket I’m not able to provide any insight into upcoming features, but we do appreciate the feedback! We’re aware that parity between first-party features and APIs is important to developers, and it’s something we’re always working to improve.

Thank you for this detail. This gets us part of the way there. Going to poke around and see if we can post to the same endpoint to create one…

@josh-square since the readonly endpoint exists, can it please be documented? Also throwing my support and vote behind documenting/implementing allowing us to create purchase orders. The endpoint is obviously there…!

Did you figure out the headers or additional mojo to make the read-only side work? I’m seriously considering dedicating a PC to automating the UI with some ML/AI helpers. PO’s are just one example. Being able to run inventory receiving reports is another. So is automating marketing campaigns. So is searching for products quickly - we don’t have enough data to cause a search to take multiple seconds - we could likely store the entirety of our catalog in RAM or in SQLite and query locally.

Unfortunately because of the CORS restrictions on those particular APIs, the only way to do it I believe would be have the user sign into your app with a username / password; then use those values to automate a real browser interaction with something like Selenium or Puppeteer.

It’s kind of bizarre that Square would have those APIs available, yet not make them available to us. I’ve been told that applying for a Partnership with Square might unlock those, and I’m currently in the process of doing that.

Any luck with the partner access?