What are the differences between subscriptions and recurring invoices?

Hi, I have a customer who instead of using the subscriptions feature is using the recurring invoices feature on their POS>

1. If it’s a recurring invoice, is the cancel invoice the equivalent endpoint to listen to for a subscription canceled event?
  2. Is the invoice_id the same every month so it’s the equivalent of canceling a subscription with a subscription_id?
  3. And invoice.payment_made is the endpoint to listen to when a recurring payment has happened in the same way it would happen with the subscription API?

:wave: The CancelInvoice endpoint will only trigger an invoice.updated webhook event.

Also the invoice_id is not the same each month. There will be a new invoice_id for each billing cycle.

Yes, invoice.payment_made is the webhook event that you’ll want to listen to for recurring invoice payments. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you @Bryan-Square.

What is the way in which we can then cancel a recurring invoice for future charges if the invoice id is always different?

I’m going to double check but I believe you have to cancel the recurring invoice from the Seller Dashboard. I don’t believe it can be canceled by the API. I’ll double check. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Square Team,
There is any API available to GET Recurring series Invoice, UPDATE Recurring series Invoice, Cancel Recurring series Invoice?

At this time there isn’t a way to get the recurring invoices and update them programatically. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: