How to test subscription recurring charge

Hi,

My question is about testing already created subscription to see what information would be coming down webhook.
How do I renew a subscription created via API(if that matters), I could not find any actions in the UI to renew subscription so I can see information in webhook. Are they in test mode as I am working in production mode (test gives me issues with locationId, applicationID and such but it is a different conversation)
any idea how to do that. I am working in production mode.
Thank you
Denys

:wave: Does your subscription have a cancelation date? If they don’t then the subscription will continue till you update it to cancel. If it does have a cancelation date and the customer wants to continue or renew the subscription you can UpdateSubscription canceled_date to the new cancellation date. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to clarify my question. It is a monthly subscription and I am looking for a way to trigger that monthly event when the charge happens. I would like to trigger the payment.

thanks.

How does your customer resubscribe today? Do they have to do it monthly or is it an indefinite subscription till they cancel? If it’s an indefinite subscription you can listen for invoice.payment_made webhook events. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for responding.
Yes, they subscribe and it is supposed to charge them monthly for a year.
Is there any way to trigger that manually so I can test it? Or is it the same as when a subscription is created and paid for the first time?
thanks.

Currently there isn’t a way to trigger it manually. It would be bill on the cadence it’s set for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you.
Last question since I can’t find any relevant information in the webhook docs. I am understanding that API is only creating subscription, which triggers invoice and payment already in Square realm, which in turn sends the payment or failed info down the webhook. How can I trigger an automatic receipt to a customer via API or otherwise. I am find if it is done by Square (will be easier). When I created a test subscription yesterday I did not get a receipt. I could not find any relevant fields in the webhook response.
thank you very much

If you’re creating a subscription that’s charging a saved card on file it will send the customer paid invoice receipt. If the customer is entering their card information in the invoice payment page they will be given a confirmation.

Additionally if you’d like to send a receipt to the customer the receipt_url is in the payment response. You can GetPayment with the payment_id and send the receipt_url to the customer. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, I got everything working. Last question. When invoice payment on recurring subscription fails, does Square sends an email to the customer with the invoice to pay?
thanks.

Yes, Square will send an invoice to the customer to be paid. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you appreciate all your help!