Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received. Error with sqpaymentform-node.js-starterkit

Hi, my client is looking to move over to Square (on my recommendation as it looks like a very professional payments company) but I’m new here. We are looking at using the online payments feature on our website as well as other features.

On trying the GitHub example in Visual Studio and Chrome,

sqpaymentform-node.js-starterkit

I’m getting the following error,

Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.

in my browser console, when the payment form loads, even before submitting the card details.

It seems to be quite a common issue in general, initially disabling the extensions in Chrome or Microsoft Edge with no extensions, made no difference.

It was making the submitting of payment details fail.

I’ve had a search on here (found nothing) and Google and all I get is disable the extensions or add

return true;

UPDATE AND SOLUTION: I have found the issue in my case, to be a cashback extension but only after using the Chrome Console to see that the payment was failing because the example is in USD and I’m in the UK so had to change the server.js code to GBP on line 44.

cheers

1 Like

As a follow up note, turning off all other apps but leaving enabled the cashback app, means it is below 3.05 seconds and seems to not give the timeout error.

I would also note that even with the error, now I have set the currency to GBP means it works.