Subscriptions walkthrough - sandbox shows unpaid for customer with card on file

Just need some clarification as to why a subscription shows as unpaid when the customer has a card on file? The very last sentence in the subscriptions walkthrough reads “In the left pane, choose Invoices , and then verify that the two invoices (paid and unpaid) are present.”. I see unpaid in the dashboard for a customer subscription that has a card on file…

Looking at your subscription the start date is 6/1. When a monthly cadence (including multiple months, such as every three months), if the billing date is after the end of a given month, Square bills the subscription on the last day of that month. For example, if the subscription starts on May 31, Square sends the next bill on June 30.

Thanks for reply & explanation of billing cycle. But still can’t get my head around the docs that clearly state “In the left pane, choose Invoices , and then verify that the two invoices (paid and unpaid) are present.”. Shouldn’t the subscription with the card on file should be charged immediately???

You are absolutely correct. We’re constantly working to improve based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share this with the API product team to get it updated.

Appreicate you doing so, please keep me in the loop with the API updates