New Subscription in production doesn't charge card

Trying to figure out why my subscription is sending invoices to the customer rather than charging the card when in production.

The same configuration did a card charge in the sandbox, however it is sending invoices in production even though the subscription has the card id associated with it. See the reponse below for https://connect.squareup.com/v2/subscriptions/search

{
“subscriptions”: [
{
“id”: “1280c3d0-ccc4-4e27-9c1e-ff82a5175f5e”,
“location_id”: “LBFF6ZVA413VB”,
“plan_id”: “VPCMRNEXAOBK24MIEJHZRNUD”,
“customer_id”: “J774Z2N9BGRC9BFBNT0YPM42BM”,
“start_date”: “2020-09-23”,
“charged_through_date”: “2020-09-25”,
“status”: “ACTIVE”,
“invoice_ids”: [
“q0Wn08Q67E7R5F6E_MoLow”,
“7EL2trqQabLHKQmdLeWP9g”
],
“price_override_money”: {
“amount”: 100,
“currency”: “USD”
},
“version”: 1600883704874,
“created_at”: “2020-09-23T10:55:04-07:00”,
“card_id”: “ccof:SFA7gvoLd503yDRL3GB”,
“paid_until_date”: “2020-09-25”,
“timezone”: “America/Los_Angeles”
}
]
}

Hey @ryanlang apologies for the delay here. Following up with our Subscriptions team as I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t be charged automatically either.

Great, thank you for the follow up.

hi @sjosey, any update on this?

I have not heard anything unfortunately, so I’m pinging them again. Will let you know when I have an update from them.

Apologies for the delay here. It sounds like the card on file that was presented failed (was declined) but we do not have anything on the subscriptions side that shows that, so the team will work on improving this, so you can see this from an API perspective. When a payment for a card on file fails on the backend, an invoice is sent to the email instead.

Unfortunately that isn’t the case. I have tried with two different card numbers and both are active credit cards that are fully functioning.

In fact, the invoice that is being created is automatically being paid with the card on file two days later. that payment is going through just fine.

Any other ideas here? Would like to get this working as it should…

Apologies Ryan, I relayed the above message to the team when you supplied it (8 days ago), but have not gotten an update. I will reach out to them to ask for an update. Thanks for following up!

Unfortunately the subscriptions haven’t been able to find anything that confirms this behavior. They say once an email has been sent, it should not be charging the card on file automatically, so it’s a bit unclear what happened here.

The invoices team say that neither of the above invoices have any payments attached to them as of last week, so are you referring to a different subscription/invoice that was automatically paid? Can you share a payment_id that is associated with one of the invoices that was automatically charged?