Same card payment failed twice and succeeded at 3rd time

Dear team,

We noticed some customer tried card on file payment with the same card 3 times, it failed at the first 2 times and succeeded at the 3rd time, may i have your help to check the cause please?

the payments are made through java SDK, and the details are as below,
if any more info is required, let me know please.

1. around UTC 2023-12-03 02:39, payment id: zNmWOFIB1LvdOzY8jZEuJH1uopWZY, failed
  2. around UTC 2023-12-03 02:40, payment id: NCgh4S9dJPYivBNzwb58Kvk5WIbZY, failed
  3. around UTC 2023-12-03 02:42, payment id: RaBQUtmSBdniWwGICMN17U3Rr2XZY, success

Thanks.

:wave: I’m Square Dev AI, here to help answer you question!
Based on the information you’ve provided, the following documentation will help answer your question:

Additional Documentation

Save Cards on File
Download, Configure, and Run the Client Sample
Reader SDK Quickstart

Hey @Alfred, I took a look at the two failed payments. It looks like for both of these the card issuer declined the payment, but didn’t share additional information about why. This customer would need to contact their bank for more information on what caused the decline.

@josh-square

thanks for help on this topic,

just would like to confirm, did the 3 payments have the same requests from square to card issuer? (of course except for the difference on the timestamp, and the amount which came from our application)

@Alfred It does look like the 3 requests were the same, with the exception of timestamps and tip amount.

i see, thanks for confirm

1 Like