Payment Completed Webhook sometimes has a very delayed response

We have a pretty basic setup with your Square Terminals. I would say 70% of the time it works 100% of the time (instantly). However sometimes there can be anywhere from a 2 minute - 2 hour delay. Today this happened 5 times on one transaction.

We have an “ordering” microservice that’s load balanced in AWS that this hits. I’ve added logs so I know when I’m actually receiving a response, in the chance that it was actually a delay in my runtime. Today though I confirmed that it’s hitting it when my system then creates an order, so it does indeed seem to be on your end.

Is this a common issue due to the holiday loads? Or am I doing something wrong? Here’s the timestamps I’ve come up with from today’s purchase.

1. Square transaction in transaction interface: 2:33 PM
  2. My AWS Log timestamp: 3:07 PM
  3. Square webhook JSON timestamp: 2:33 PM
  4. My order created datetime: 3:07 PM

The problem is the customer is obviously gone by the time my system has it’s callback to finish the order and the ability to create them a receipt.

:wave: you have an example checkout_id so we can check the logs? :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure! Here’s one of the 5 IDs in question today and the one that matches the timestamps above.

5ij3HbvvpQlqO

Hey, so did that checkout_id end up being helpful? We just had the same thing happen with a manual card payment on the square terminal.

In most cases, event notifications arrive in well under 60 seconds of the associated event however it looks like there was a delay with these particular events. This can happen from time to time. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: