Is it possible to use mobile camera to scan and input card info on Square web sdk?

Dear Team,

May I know whether Square web payment sdk supports scanning and inputting card info from mobile camera?
(We didn’t find out any document mentioning that so probably the answer is no… )

And assuming we find some third party sdk to collect the card number, expire date, CVV etc from mobile camera, is there any interface, API, etc. on Square web payment sdk to receive these info just like user input manually?

The background is that some customer complained a bit to us it’s not so convenient to input card info manually, and most customers may not be willing to let us remember their card info, so we are wondering whether there is any way for customer to input card info easily.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Alfred Luan

Unfortunately, the Square Web Payment SDK does not currently support scanning and inputting card information from a mobile camera. As of now, there is no interface or API within the SDK that would allow you to receive card information scanned by a third-party SDK. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

:wave: I’m Square Dev AI, here to help answer your question!
Based on the information you’ve provided, the following documentation will help answer your question:

Additional Documentation

Payment API: Process Online and In-Person Payments
Reader SDK Quickstart
Reader SDK Quickstart

If this documentation helped you find a solution, please check the box indicating that this reply solves the problem.
Otherwise one of our Developer Advocates will provide additional assistance shortly.

@Bryan-Square
just FYI,
we noticed the scanning feature is provided by Safari browser (>= iOS8, referrenence here: How do I set up a web form to support iOS 8 credit card scanning in mobile safari? - Stack Overflow), and it works with Square web sdk as well.
however it looks not supported by Chrome browser yet.