Does Square allow 3rd party apps to run on Square Register yet?

I’ve found posts from 2020 and 2022 regarding this question but, with the explosion of Android based “smart” payment devices, I’m hoping that this is now possible?

:wave: I’m Square Dev AI, here to help answer your question!
Based on the information you’ve provided, the following documentation will help answer your question:

Additional Documentation

Reader SDK Quickstart
Reader SDK Quickstart
Enable Secure Remote Commerce - Android

If this documentation helped you find a solution, please check the box indicating that this reply solves the problem.
Otherwise one of our Developer Advocates will provide additional assistance shortly.

As of the current documentation, Square’s Reader SDK is only available for accounts based in the United States. It does not support running on custom operating systems or on rooted or jailbroken devices. It is recommended to run the Reader SDK on devices from large mobile device manufacturers such as Google, Samsung, or HTC. Running on devices from smaller OEMs is not guaranteed to comply with Square’s required security standards. Therefore, running the Reader SDK on Android-based “smart” payment devices may not be supported if they do not meet these requirements.

This answer was reviewed by @Bryan-Square.

Unfortunately, running 3rd party apps on the Square Register isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: