Discounts for first items

Discounts for first items.

We have been looking to make a system which automatically applies discounts.

We have this working, but there is a problem - because of the way auto discounts work, the discounts are being applied to every item of a particular type.

We only want the discount to apply to the first of a specific item only (IE if you add 10 of item X, only one is discounted).

I believe the problem comes down to how the discounts engine qualifies different products – it cycles through the list of items and applies a discount on those which match its criteria.

This means that if we, for example, wanted to use “quantity_max”: 1, it would flag every item, as every item has a max value of 1. Same for exact quantity.

We have managed to get it working for the BOGOF example provided in the docs (IE for every 2 items, one is discounted). However, this uses “quantity_exact”, which does not appear to be compatible with the min/max values.

I am in need of someone to let me know if automatically assigning a discount for a single product (only) is possible? I want to think it is, but having spent over a day on this already, I’m running low on ideas.

Thanks!

Hi, we are facing this problem as well. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks!

:wave: Currently, applying a discount to a single item of the quantity of the items being sold isn’t currently possible. However you could adjust the discount amount that’s applied to the quantity bing sold to be the correct value so it totals the discount correctly. :slightly_smiling_face:

:wave: Thanks for the response Bryan. Can this be done automatically (on the fly)? I mean is there a way to adjust the discount amount to be the same as the price of a single item (that is suppsoed to be the reward) at the time when the order is being entered by the customer.

If the discount is specific for the item and the amount that needs to be discounted you can configure Pricing rule-based discounts to automatically apply to the sale. For example you have an item and when a customer purchases x quantity the discount would apply to the sale. The discount amount can be the advertised amount that you tell the customer was applied to the first item of the quantity purchased. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree that this would be a nice feature - to be able to offer 100% off discount on the first x number of items purchased.

Setting a specific discount dollar amount is a fair workaround, but it can be insufficient when dealing with products that have modifiers or other factors that cause the price of an item to vary from one sale to the next.

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like