This is a low priority anomaly, and I am only mentioning it in the spirit of “see something, say something.”
We have a discount on a featured item that changes daily.
We are using the API to modify the DISCOUNT object amount and the PRODUCT_SET items.
Everything appears to be working normally, but I noticed that when I open the discount from the dashboard the first time after the API update, the automatic discount list of items is empty. If I close and reopen the discount, the expected item(s) appear.
This does not appear to have any relation to how long I wait to open the discount in the dashboard. Even many minutes after making the API change, the list is empty and does not appear until the second time opening it.
My guess is that there is some caching going on somewhere, but it only seems to affect the first dashboard open of the discount after the API update.
I don’t need a response, and as long as this doesn’t impact how it is working it not a big deal (to me). Just sharing in case this could be indicative of a more pervasive issue.