Current Square API Rate Limit

What is the official API rate limit for the Square API? I cannot find it on an official Square documentation page. I found this on Stack Overflow, but I rather get something more concrete. Thanks!

Unfortunately we currently do not publicly disclose the rate limits at this time. Typically we recommend an exponential backoff algorithm to be put to use in order to overcome rate limit errors if you do encounter them.

1 Like

Hiđź‘‹
Do you currently have any information related to the Square API rate limits?

At this time we currently do not publicly disclose the rate limits at this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am working on an application myself and was hoping to tackle the rate limit situation. Any help with the exponential backoff algorithm.

What language are you using? There are a lot of examples if you search exponential backoff algorithm with the language your using. :slight_smile:

I am using Flutter. I got a package to do that. Thanks.

If you don’t publicly disclose the rate limits, do you privately disclose that info if we contact you? I am more concerned about my account being blocked if our program keeps hitting the rate limits and the Square system thinks we are suspicious. Would that be a problem?

At this time we don’t disclose the limits. If you follow our guidance on how to handle rate limits you’ll be just fine.

• Square does have rate limits but we don’t document the limits. We encourage you to handle the limit gracefully by building a retry mechanism. This mechanism should have an exponential backoff schedule to reduce requests when volume is necessary. Also some randomness wouldn’t hurt to avoid a thundering herd effect.
    :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there a reason Square doesn’t recommend using the RetryConfiguration as exposed by ApiMatic?