Create subscription and pause before first billing

We’re taking pre-orders for an upcoming service that will bill monthly. I’d like to create a subscription and immediately pause it before the first payment. Is this possible?

I’ve tried:

1. Setting the start date of the subscription 30 days into the future. Pausing it today. This failed to pause.
  2. Creating a plan with a 1 month free trial. Starting a subscription. Pausing it today. The pause is still scheduled for the day after the first charge after the free trial ends.

At this time the pause will only take effect once a billing happens. Creating a subscription that automatically has a pause in place isn’t currently available with the Subscriptions API. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Bryan-Square.

Sounds like my answer then is that I’m unable to create the subscriptions in advance, so instead I should create them when it’s time to start billing.

You can set the start_date for the subscription is you want to create them before the billing starts. :slightly_smiling_face:

Right, but I don’t have a specific start date yet, I can’t pause before the start date.