Configuring Tax Free item variations

In Australia, our GST tax allows for certain goods and services to be exempt from the general 10% that is applied to all other goods and services.

In order to allow for this, we configure our product variations to be “tax_free” if the general GST rate does not apply.

From my reading of the Square Catalog API, it appears that you define the tax rate applicable on a per product basis, and ALL variations of that product use that tax rate.

Where you’ve got specific exemptions for goods from tax, it’s possible that a customer could configure a product with multiple variations, only some of which are taxable.

Is there any way to make some variations exempt from tax being applied in the Square Catalog API?

1 Like

With items in the Catalog API the tax is scoped to the entire item so having tax exempt rules for item variations isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Bryan, is it possible to add more tax exemption rules to the current tax exemption page? Currently what’s offered doesn’t make my products tax exempt when they should be.
My business deals with Rare coins and bullion which have tax exemption rules based on state and of how much is purchased (dollar amount). From what I read sometimes there are exemptions based on certain zip codes as well.

As of now

I need it when a certain item is above a certain price not below

and

When the customers shipping address is taken into consideration.

• if an item is above a variable amount
  • if item total is above a variable amount
  • zip code of buyer(based on shipping address from order form)
  • state of buyer( based on shipping address from order form)
  • country of buyer( based on shipping address from order form)

I’ve never used these developer forums before and don’t know if you have my personal email is readily available? If not Let me know.

Thanks

Tim

Unfortunately, the ability to add additional tax exemption rules isn’t currently available with the tax object in the Catalog. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slight_smile: