We have successfully integrated the Square Terminal with our self-checkout kiosks and we are in the latest stages of testing while preparing to launch them to production. We have a few locations ready to processed a few thousand transactions a day this month.
We have been in contact with the Square team already and getting great assistance from them (Timothy Hahn and Dylan Bowermaster).
The issue we encounter is the following:
- Initiate a Checkout from the kiosk
- Terminal shows Checkout screen as expected
- User Swipes a card with chip
- The terminal displays the message “Cart Not Read” / “Chip cards must be inserted”
- The Checkout is cancelled and the terminal goes back to “Ready to take payment”
- We were expecting the terminal to display the Checkout screen so the user could try the card again but instead the checkout process is completely cancelled.
When this happens we are forced to initiate another Checkout, every time for every incorrect swipe or chip insert. We would expect the Check screen to remain active and only cancelled after the user taps the Back arrow or due to a timeout, but not swipe failure.
Is this the expected behavior or are we missing something in the configuration?