Checkout API does not show taxes in reports

I’m using the checkout API (using the node SDK) to create payment for my customers and the flow if working perfectly, but when I check the dashboard of my sandbox client, I do not see any taxes in the reports? I am sending the tax details and the total amounts are corect… Is it because I am using order taxes instead of line taxes?

I am sending the taxes in my order though:

[
  {
    name: 'inclusive tax',
    type: 'INCLUSIVE',
    scope: 'ORDER',
    appliedMoney: {amount: 1092, currency: 'CAD'}
  }
]

According to the documentation this should be enough, but I do not see them in the reports, nor any place else. Can someone elaborate?

Hi :wave:, I took a look at the checkout requests that you are making and the items in the orders are adhoc items which won’t automatically have an inclusive tax. If you use the catalog_object_id for the item variation in the order then the taxes will be applied. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan, thanks for the quick response.
Does this mean that I need to map my product lines to actual products created in Square? Or do I just need to add some minimal extra data to the request I am making now?
As my lines currently can be a combination of products into a single line, It’s currently hard to have a detailed mapping to existing products.

You can still do adhoc items and taxes. For example if you create a checkout with the following it will have the taxes reported in the Dashboard like what you are looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

{
    "idempotency_key": "cc0f63e2-d6ed-4ae3-8740-03539489ab53",
    "order": {
      "idempotency_key": "4e996fb0-248b-4a21-8258-8880d960ff57",
      "order": {
        "location_id": "LOCATION_ID",
        "line_items": [
          {
            "quantity": "1",
            "name": "item_1",
            "base_price_money": {
              "amount": 100,
              "currency": "USD"
            }
          }
        ],
        "taxes": [
          {
            "name": "city",
            "percentage": "10",
            "scope": "ORDER",
            "type": "INCLUSIVE"
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  }

Ok, so I need to work with a percentage, rather than an amount and it will work? I will try it out.