Calculate Order vs Update Order

I am building an e-commerce application that allow users to add items to their cart followed by checking out.
I am trying to determine what flow is recommended.
Option 1:

• call calculateOrder any time a user adds/edits an item in the cart
  • call CreateOrder when the user is ready to make a payment, and use the order_id to process the payment.

Option 2:

• Create an order when user adds/edits items in their cart and disregard all older orders

Option 3

• Create an order when user adds their first item in the cart
  • call UpdateOrder when there are changes to the order

Option 1 is ideal because I don’t need to determine if the user edited an item or just deleted it, I can just re-calculate the whole order. This also doesn’t spam square with a bunch of OPEN orders that very likely will never be full-filled. The CalculateOrder endpoint is in Beta, so not sure if I should be using this. Also leaving the actual creation of the order till the user wants to pay doesn’t seem like a good user experience because they’d have to wait for the createOrder call to finish before being able to enter their credit card information.

Option2 creates a new order on any change to the cart which spams the merchant with a number of Open orders. The docs mention that the merchant will not be able to see these OPEN orders unless they are fulfilled. Is there a drawback of basically spamming OPEN orders? Do they have a TTL after which square clears them out?

Option3 is probably the most sane but requires a lot more work on the developer’s end to limit the number of orders created. This seems like the correct way to go, but I am not seeing anything in the docs that state that this option has any drawbacks.