Bug report - issue with product set / pricing rule

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the proper location to report a bug that I have identified if not please let me know what the proper channel is. Thanks

I am using the Catalog API to create a product set and then add that product set into a pricing rule. Ideally I would like to use variation IDs for this so that a pricing rule can target a specific product variation. For example if there is a shirt with four sizes, it would be good to be able to target one particular size with a pricing rule as opposed to all sizes.

So I created a product set with a variation ID, and then added it into a pricing rule with a corresponding customer group and discount. All of the catalog objects were created successfully, however when testing a transaction in the Square Retail App using the relevant objects the app crashes.

The specific steps to trigger the crash:

1. Create customer group via API
  2. Add a customer into the group via API
  3. Create discount via API
  4. Create product set via API with a Variation ID in the product_ids_all field
  5. Create pricing rule via API that includes the above customer group, discount, and product set
  6. In Square Retail App add customer that is in above group to sale
  7. Add any product to sale
  8. At this point the app crashes

There was no crash when I repeated the above steps but used a Product ID at step 4 instead of a Variation ID.

I assume a potential fix is to either block use of variation IDs for product sets, or to update this logic to support variation specific pricing rules.

Thanks for reviewing

:wave: Does this consistently happen after troubleshooting the app/device? Have you restarted the device or delete and reinstalled the device and if so is it still happening? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Bryan, the delete reinstall does fix the crashing issue.

The pricing rule discount does not apply properly when a Variation ID is used in the Product Set. That’s fine for my use case so we will stick with that for now, though it would be nice if the Variation ID could be used as it would allow for SKU specific pricing rules.

Glad to hear that the crashing stopped.

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: