Any API to dynamically create Discount Codes / Any way for POS system to scan QR code provided by user?

Trying to allow a merchant to dynamically create discount codes that change every hour. Then, an end-user would be able to open up a QR code that represents these discount codes on their phone and the merchant would be able to scan this QR code and immediately add this discount to their POS system. Are there built-in APIs for this?

Currently, discount codes that can change on a specified cadence and use the same customer QR codes isn’t currently available with Square APIs. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Bryan. Can the POS system scan any QR codes at all?

I know at this time you can scan QR codes to bring up a customer and you can scan SKUs but I’m not really sure if it will scan any QR code. What are you looking to scan for? :slightly_smiling_face:

In short, I would love to scan a QR code that automatically sends a payment API (or really any other API available in the Square ecosystem).

Currently, scanning a QR code won’t trigger a payment on the POS nor will it trigger a payment with the Payments API. :slightly_smiling_face:

Got it, a couple more follow-ups:

1. Can coupons only be used for ecommerce or do they also work for IRL purchase (ie., at the store)?
  2. If coupons can be used for IRL purchases, could I create the coupon on Square Online, then embed this coupon in a QR code I create myself, and then allow this QR code to be scanned at the store and apply the coupon to my order at that point?

Hi, I’m looking for the same feature, there is any way to create a discount (through API) that is not linked to any catalog or customer, that shows in the POS and it can be manually applied, and then I can delete it (through API).

Currently, all discounts at this time are associated to the catalog. A short lived discount code like what you’re looking for isn’t currently available. We hope to have more for you soon. :slightly_smiling_face: