Update Item Prep time with API

I would like to be able to change/update the Prep Time on each item variation with an API call. Currently the Prep Time in Square is also by item and not by item variation. Just like you have inventory control at the variation level, the Prep Time should be that way also. Just like we update the inventory with the API, want to do this for the Prep Time.

Unfortunately, the ability to adjust the prep time at the item variation level isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t believe the API allows you to update at the item level either, but our preference would be at the variation level, like inventory. The prep time is not displayed in the API either, which for our needs is an oversight.
I don’t believe the square website displays the prep time to the customer either. Once they add items to the cart, it will display the estimated time when the order will be ready. It’s a little difficult for a customer to choose items based upon the prep time. They have to add/remove items to determine when it will be ready. I built a custom mobile app, however we still have a lot of customers that order online (Square). This is a huge issue for us.
Thank you for passing this along.

That’s correct that the API doesn’t allow you to update at the item level at this time.

Also, shouldn’t the customer not have to worry about the prep time and only worry about when they have to pickup the completed order? The prep time would be something for the seller to worry about.

The prep time is what tells the customer what time their order will be ready. The prep time, may be a deciding factor for what items to purchase. On our Square page, once the customer picks an item, it will tell them the estimated pickup time. It will adjust the pickup time, if they pick another item that has a longer wait time. It would be so helpful if the website displayed the wait time for each item for the customer. The wait time should also be at the variation level, just as inventory counts are.

Thank you

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Bryan,
Is it possible to get (read only) the prep time for each item?

At this time the ability to get the preferences for catalog objects which includes prep_time_duration isn’t currently available. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: