Terminal API with WordPress

Hello all,

I am new to API but expert at Wordpress. I run several Wordpress sites.

I use Square for payments. I have a square terminal. I have 2 “locations” set up in square (each location has a different bank account but they are at the same physical shop).

I need to constantly switch between locations in the terminal so that payment will go to the appropriate bank account - this is tedious because the only current way to do that with the terminal is to log in and out of it with email & password and then select the location when prompted to upon sign in.

I then found the option to register the terminal with a device code and in the virtual terminal, I can select to send the payment to the terminal so the customer can pay on the terminal and I don’t have to touch it. This is great except you can only register the terminal to one location in square online dashboard - this is issue for me because I am constantly switching between 2 locations, SO unfortunately I cannot register the terminal in square online dashboard using device code (since it’s limited to only one location).

BUT Via the terminal API I know it’s possible to send a specific location ID for each payment request sent to the terminal.

So this is what I’m looking for:

-either square will change the approach in registering terminals: make it not registered to a specific location but allow the person on the virtual terminal to select which location the payment is for on that specific payment

I guess the above will take a while for square to do (but square-if you are reading this please do a feature request!). In the meantime I would like to use it in the following way:

-on my Wordpress site there would be a page with the following: text box to enter $ amount for payment, currency will always be CAD, a dropdown to select which location the payment is for (and based on the dropdown, it will send a different location ID in the API to the terminal), a button to send the payment to the terminal for the customer to pay, button to cancel the payment request.

I am new to API’s but very interested in it and willing to learn.

I would really appreciate someone who can guide me how to do the bolded. Thank you

:wave: Currently with Terminal API the location_id is passed in when creating the device_code that is used to login on the Terminal. Unfortunately there isn’t a way to take payments on a Square device and have the payments go to multiple locations linked to different bank accounts without logging out and logging in on the device with the credentials configured to the specific location. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bryan, thanks for reply
hmmm
Please be sure to raise this issue;
if you allow a registered device with a device code to be registered to the ‘account’ instead of a specific location, that would be much better. then, I wouldn’t need to waste any time or play around at all with the API because I could just select the location immediately prior to payment on the virtual terminal. I have seen many others request this functionality as well:

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: