Terminal and app_fee

Using the Terminal web API it does not appear that we can add an app_fee to createTerminalCheckout similar to the payment API. Is this correct? if yes, how do we add our developer fee to the terminal checkout process?

Thank you.
newbie…

Hey @jromanowski, welcome to the forums! app_fee_money isn’t currently available for the Terminal API at this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes please add us. Is there a work around to take a fee for terminal?

Joe Romanowski
Technical Sales | Support

C: 617.699.4171
[email protected]
lynxlog.com

emailsignature.png

Great! I’ll go ahead and get you added using the business name and email from your signature, but let me know if you’d like to use a different one.

Is there a work around to take a fee for terminal?

No workarounds at this time, sorry.

Hello Josh, I have not heard anything back yet. What is the time frame you are expecting to have the app_fee as part of the Terminal API?

Joe Romanowski
Technical Sales | Support

C: 617.699.4171
[email protected]
lynxlog.com Formerly: MooringInfo

emailsignature.png

:wave: Currently, we don’t have a public timeline for the ability to collect app_fee_money with Terminal API. This is a very popular feature request and we hope to have more options for you soon, so thanks for your continued patience. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Any update on this? I was told I was going to be included in a BETA program for this functionality but have not heard anything back.

Thanks

The ability to collect app_fee_money is available now in the US. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. Is there a guide to help upgrade to the newest api code?

Yes, our documentation has all the details for collecting a fee from payments with Terminal API. :slightly_smiling_face:

The documentation states: The app_fee_money property has a value amount limit.

However the link does not work. What is the app_fee_money limit?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The team is working on a fix but in the meantime here is the link to the limits. :slightly_smiling_face:

We are finally implementing the app_fee and having issues. We are using the most recent API 2023-04-19.

When using app_fee we receive error: cannot specify for this account: target and source accounts are the same.

We have tried everything and cannot figure out this issue. Any suggestions on how to get past this?

It also gives us the same messages in the API explorer. Details below:

$amount_money = new \Square\Models\Money();
$amount_money->setAmount(100);
$amount_money->setCurrency(‘USD’);

$device_options = new \Square\Models\DeviceCheckoutOptions(‘dbb5d83a-7838-11ea-bc55-0242ac130003’);
$device_options->setSkipReceiptScreen(false);

$app_fee_money = new \Square\Models\Money();
$app_fee_money->setAmount(50);
$app_fee_money->setCurrency(‘USD’);

$checkout = new \Square\Models\TerminalCheckout($amount_money, $device_options);
$checkout->setReferenceId(‘id11572’);
$checkout->setNote(‘A brief note’);
$checkout->setAppFeeMoney($app_fee_money);

$body = new \Square\Models\CreateTerminalCheckoutRequest(‘28a0c3bc-7839-11ea-bc55-0242ac130003’, $checkout);

$api_response = $client->getTerminalApi()->createTerminalCheckout($body);

if ($api_response->isSuccess()) {
$result = $api_response->getResult();
} else {
$errors = $api_response->getErrors();
}

RESPONSE:

{
“errors”: [
{
“code”: “BAD_REQUEST”,
“detail”: “cannot specify for this account: target and source accounts are the same”,
“field”: “checkout.app_fee_money”,
“category”: “INVALID_REQUEST_ERROR”
}
]
}

Is there a reason your trying to collect a fee from your own account? :slightly_smiling_face:

That seems to be the problem. For a payment, we use the location ID to show the amount goes to one location and the app_fee to our corporate account.

When using the Terminal API, we do not provide the location id (I assume the device code does the same) but we want the location to get the amount and our corporate account (Lynxlog) to get the fee.

How do we do this?

Does this work? How do you instruct the call to use a different locations for the app_fee and amount?

At this time this is a limitation with Terminal API. I’ve reached out to the team and will be sure to reach out with any updates. :slightly_smiling_face:

Any update with this? Are we able to use app_fee at the current Terminal API version?

No additional updates at this time. The team is looking into this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Bryan, 3 months have passed. Any update where app_fees actually work in the API?