Split Cash/Card Payment?

I am building out a custom POS app for a tool rental company. I would like to be able to accept cash payments for retail items and rental fees, but have the security deposit charged to a card that’s put on file.

I’m having an issue with the payments API where I can accept the cash transaction correctly, but it will only accept it if the amount is the same as the order total. Is there not a way to accept a partial payment via cash and then charge the remaining balance on the order to a card? I haven’t been able to find anything on split payments other than the square gift cards?

For example a sample order would be:

Rental Fees: $35.00
Retail Sales $8.95
Sales Tax on above: $3.63

Security Deposit: $50.00

Order Total: $97.58

The portion of the order that can be payable in cash is $47.58. The security deposit needs to be paid through a card, which is kept on file in case of late fees. And is dipped through the terminal.

Is it not possible to accept a $47.58 partial cash payment on a $97.58 order?

Currently with the Orders and the Payments APIs don’t support taking split tender payments with cash. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: