Sign in page not loading for OAuth authorizations

For the last few years, we’ve performed OAuth authorization using a WebBrowser control built with the Chromium Embedded Framework (we’re using PowerBuilder for our development environment). Our app would use the WebBrowser control to load the authorization URL where the seller would log-in to their account to approve our app. Something has changed on the Square site, however, because now the user will see a page to “Sign In”, but no user/password fields are available on the page, and there’s no way for the user to sign in.

Are there new browser requirements?

Are there any console errors if you inspect the page? :slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly, because this is an embedded web browser, there’s no access to the console. The page simply does not appear to finish loading. I am error catching on certificate errors or URL errors, but no error event is firing. I suspect the page is using some newer CSS tags or javascript library that is not supported. This is what the page looks like when it loads:

Is this with Android or iOS? Are you able to build the app in developer mode and debug or enable WebView debugging in your app? :slightly_smiling_face:

No. It’s a Windows exe. No, I cannot enable webview debugging. I have no access to debugging the Square webpage.

I’m not really familiar with Windows exe but I did a search and this is what I got:
Getting console errors from a Windows executable (.exe) can be achieved in a few different ways depending on the nature of the executable and how it’s been programmed. Here are several methods you might consider:

1. Command Line Redirect:
    If the executable writes errors to the standard error stream, you can redirect this to a file from the command line:

your_program.exe 2> error.log

2. DebugView:
    DebugView is a utility from Sysinternals that captures real-time debug output from a running application. If the application uses the OutputDebugString function to report errors or other information, DebugView can capture and display this information even if the application is running in a user account that is not an administrator.

Download and run DebugView from: DebugView Download

3. Event Viewer:
    If the application writes errors to the Windows event log, you can view these with the Event Viewer:

• Press Win + R, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter.
    • Look under “Windows Logs” → “Application” for error messages related to your program.
  4. Visual Studio:
    If you have the source code and can run the program in a debugger:

• Open the project in Visual Studio.
    • Press F5 to run the program with debugging.
    • The “Output” and “Error List” windows will show any errors generated.
  5. Log Files:
    Check if the application generates any log files, perhaps in its installation directory or in a common logging directory. Application-specific log files might contain error messages.

6. Custom Logging:
    If you have control over the source code, consider adding custom logging to the application, which can write errors and other information to a file, the Windows event log, or another logging system.

7. Third-party Logging Frameworks:
    Utilize third-party logging frameworks like log4net or NLog if you have control over the source code. These frameworks can be configured to log error messages to various outputs including files, the console, or even remote logging servers.

Select the method that best fits your situation and the nature of the Windows executable you are working with. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know how to debug an application, Bryan. Particularly, my own. – I do not have the ability to debug the Square webpage through the web browser control I am using.