Is Event Type available for Upserting to Catalog?

Am I just not looking in the right area? I’d like to create an event using the API, but in the catalog api I can’t seem to find ‘event’ as a product type I can add?

Currently the type EVENT isn’t currently a catalog object type. If you are creating events you’ll want to create catalog objects with the type of ITEM. :slightly_smiling_face:

oh! OK, so just like I add a product. I’m assuming the dates and times are something I can add as well?

Yeah, all that data can go into the description or variations. It all depends on how you’ll be leveraging the Catalog to sell events. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, so I used the Explorer to pull an Event I’d created in the past manually, and it has these data points:

"event": {
          "uid": "TOAJLH5N3M7YSKIHS5XL3KMV",
          "start_at": "2020-03-13T23:00:00+00:00",
          "end_at": "2020-03-14T02:00:00+00:00",
          "event_location_time_zone": "America/Chicago",
          "event_location_name": "The Haunted Book Shop",
          "address_id": "XLXAVJXLSKWYLPYMVZD2QNO5",
          "all_day_event": false
        },

But when I go to the Upsert Catalog Object section in the Explorer to see what can be added, I don’t see these as options.

Whats the ID of that object and whats you application ID? :slightly_smiling_face:

Object ID is GPOKJPTV2KDLVKCADJ7I77EZ
How do I find my application ID?

It’s in your Developer Dashboard. Also are you viewing these events in the Square Seller Dashboard? We don’t have any catalog objects that represent events modeled like the example you provided. :slightly_smiling_face:

Production Application ID is sq0idp-Yrrrvui1jKbXT1NB5uizpQ

And I found that output above when I used /v2/catalog/search-catalog-items and in text filter I put loda

Here’s the full output:

cache-control: max-age=0, private, must-revalidate
content-encoding: gzip
content-type: application/json
date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:47:24 GMT
square-version: 2023-01-19

{
  "items": [
    {
      "type": "ITEM",
      "id": "SCF5S3UKHQ632C53BMAKRLMK",
      "updated_at": "2023-01-08T02:16:57.361Z",
      "created_at": "2020-03-11T17:41:54.482Z",
      "version": 1673144217361,
      "is_deleted": false,
      "present_at_all_locations": true,
      "item_data": {
        "name": "LoDA Artwalk Booksigning - Sidney Thompson",
        "description": "Friday night we're excited to welcome back a former Mobilian! Sidney Thompson lived in Fairhope/Point Clear for a decade (while teaching at UMS-Wright and USA)\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an origin story in the true American tradition. Before Bass Reeves could stake his claim as the most successful nineteenth-century American lawman, arresting more outlaws than any other deputy during his thirty-two-year career as a deputy U.S. marshal in some of the most dangerous regions of the Wild West, he was a slave.\n\nAfter a childhood picking cotton, he became an expert marksman under his master’s tutelage, winning shooting contests throughout the region. His skill had serious implications, however, as the Civil War broke out. Reeves was given to his master’s mercurial, sadistic, Moby-Dick-quoting son in the hopes that Reeves would keep him safe in battle. The ensuing humiliation, love, heroics, war, mind games, and fear solidified Reeves’s determination to gain his freedom and drew him one step further on his fated path to an illustrious career.\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an important historical work that places Reeves in the pantheon of American heroes and a thrilling historical novel that narrates a great man’s exploits amid the near-mythic world of the nineteenth-century frontier.\n\nSIDNEY THOMPSON holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Arkansas and a Ph.D. in American literature, with secondary specializations in African-American narratives and creative writing, from the University of North Texas. He is the author of Sideshow, winner of Foreword Magazine’s Silver Award for Short Story Collection of the Year (2006) and You/Wee: Poems from a Father (2018). His fiction, nonfiction, and poetry have appeared in numerous anthologies and literary journals, such as American Literary Review, The Carolina Quarterly, Cleaver Magazine, Climbing Mt Cheaha: Emerging Alabama Authors, The Cortland Review, Flash: The International Short-Short Story Magazine (UK), Grey Sparrow Journal, Paste Magazine, Prick of the Spindle, Rhino, R.kv.r.y. Quarterly Literary Journal, The Southern Poetry Anthology (VIII: Texas), The Southern Review, Stories from the Blue Moon Café (Volumes 1 & 2), storySouth, Waxwing Literary Journal, and Writing Texas. He was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and now teaches creative writing and African-American literature at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth.",
        "is_taxable": true,
        "category_id": "X32MUD4IQC64V5TUWB4LSHPQ",
        "tax_ids": [
          "AW3CHMC7CIH3S7SAOA3OGDAJ"
        ],
        "variations": [
          {
            "type": "ITEM_VARIATION",
            "id": "RUDJLMUX7Z6NF5MZW6ACFD22",
            "updated_at": "2022-08-16T16:16:23.112Z",
            "created_at": "2020-03-11T17:41:54.482Z",
            "version": 1660666583112,
            "is_deleted": false,
            "present_at_all_locations": true,
            "item_variation_data": {
              "item_id": "SCF5S3UKHQ632C53BMAKRLMK",
              "name": "Regular",
              "ordinal": 0,
              "pricing_type": "FIXED_PRICING",
              "price_money": {
                "amount": 0,
                "currency": "USD"
              },
              "sellable": true,
              "stockable": true
            }
          }
        ],
        "product_type": "REGULAR",
        "skip_modifier_screen": false,
        "ecom_uri": "https://www.thehauntedbookshopmobile.com/product/loda-artwalk-booksigning-sidney-thompson/16412",
        "ecom_image_uris": [
          "https://www.thehauntedbookshopmobile.com/uploads/1/2/8/3/128386604/s920965166903162205_p16412_i3_w1200.png"
        ],
        "ecom_available": true,
        "ecom_visibility": "VISIBLE",
        "image_ids": [
          "WCQXVSSGUD5V6QJRXSJFL7Z2"
        ],
        "event": {
          "uid": "TOAJLH5N3M7YSKIHS5XL3KMV",
          "start_at": "2020-03-13T23:00:00+00:00",
          "end_at": "2020-03-14T02:00:00+00:00",
          "event_location_time_zone": "America/Chicago",
          "event_location_name": "The Haunted Book Shop",
          "address_id": "XLXAVJXLSKWYLPYMVZD2QNO5",
          "all_day_event": false
        },
        "description_html": "Friday night we're excited to welcome back a former Mobilian! Sidney Thompson lived in Fairhope/Point Clear for a decade (while teaching at UMS-Wright and USA)\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an origin story in the true American tradition. Before Bass Reeves could stake his claim as the most successful nineteenth-century American lawman, arresting more outlaws than any other deputy during his thirty-two-year career as a deputy U.S. marshal in some of the most dangerous regions of the Wild West, he was a slave.\n\nAfter a childhood picking cotton, he became an expert marksman under his master’s tutelage, winning shooting contests throughout the region. His skill had serious implications, however, as the Civil War broke out. Reeves was given to his master’s mercurial, sadistic, Moby-Dick-quoting son in the hopes that Reeves would keep him safe in battle. The ensuing humiliation, love, heroics, war, mind games, and fear solidified Reeves’s determination to gain his freedom and drew him one step further on his fated path to an illustrious career.\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an important historical work that places Reeves in the pantheon of American heroes and a thrilling historical novel that narrates a great man’s exploits amid the near-mythic world of the nineteenth-century frontier.\n\nSIDNEY THOMPSON holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Arkansas and a Ph.D. in American literature, with secondary specializations in African-American narratives and creative writing, from the University of North Texas. He is the author of Sideshow, winner of Foreword Magazine’s Silver Award for Short Story Collection of the Year (2006) and You/Wee: Poems from a Father (2018). His fiction, nonfiction, and poetry have appeared in numerous anthologies and literary journals, such as American Literary Review, The Carolina Quarterly, Cleaver Magazine, Climbing Mt Cheaha: Emerging Alabama Authors, The Cortland Review, Flash: The International Short-Short Story Magazine (UK), Grey Sparrow Journal, Paste Magazine, Prick of the Spindle, Rhino, R.kv.r.y. Quarterly Literary Journal, The Southern Poetry Anthology (VIII: Texas), The Southern Review, Stories from the Blue Moon Café (Volumes 1 & 2), storySouth, Waxwing Literary Journal, and Writing Texas. He was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and now teaches creative writing and African-American literature at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth.",
        "description_plaintext": "Friday night we're excited to welcome back a former Mobilian! Sidney Thompson lived in Fairhope/Point Clear for a decade (while teaching at UMS-Wright and USA)\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an origin story in the true American tradition. Before Bass Reeves could stake his claim as the most successful nineteenth-century American lawman, arresting more outlaws than any other deputy during his thirty-two-year career as a deputy U.S. marshal in some of the most dangerous regions of the Wild West, he was a slave.\n\nAfter a childhood picking cotton, he became an expert marksman under his master’s tutelage, winning shooting contests throughout the region. His skill had serious implications, however, as the Civil War broke out. Reeves was given to his master’s mercurial, sadistic, Moby-Dick-quoting son in the hopes that Reeves would keep him safe in battle. The ensuing humiliation, love, heroics, war, mind games, and fear solidified Reeves’s determination to gain his freedom and drew him one step further on his fated path to an illustrious career.\n\nFollow the Angels, Follow the Doves is an important historical work that places Reeves in the pantheon of American heroes and a thrilling historical novel that narrates a great man’s exploits amid the near-mythic world of the nineteenth-century frontier.\n\nSIDNEY THOMPSON holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Arkansas and a Ph.D. in American literature, with secondary specializations in African-American narratives and creative writing, from the University of North Texas. He is the author of Sideshow, winner of Foreword Magazine’s Silver Award for Short Story Collection of the Year (2006) and You/Wee: Poems from a Father (2018). His fiction, nonfiction, and poetry have appeared in numerous anthologies and literary journals, such as American Literary Review, The Carolina Quarterly, Cleaver Magazine, Climbing Mt Cheaha: Emerging Alabama Authors, The Cortland Review, Flash: The International Short-Short Story Magazine (UK), Grey Sparrow Journal, Paste Magazine, Prick of the Spindle, Rhino, R.kv.r.y. Quarterly Literary Journal, The Southern Poetry Anthology (VIII: Texas), The Southern Review, Stories from the Blue Moon Café (Volumes 1 & 2), storySouth, Waxwing Literary Journal, and Writing Texas. He was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and now teaches creative writing and African-American literature at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth."
      }
    }
  ],
  "cursor": "",
  "matched_variation_ids": [
    "RUDJLMUX7Z6NF5MZW6ACFD22"
  ]
}

Okay, that is a catalog object type ITEM which is expected. The item itself is an event. :slightly_smiling_face:

Right. So I guess I’m back to my original question–is there not a way to access the bits that make it an event in an Upsert call?