Have a way to verify if the Terminal is up and ready to take payment without doing a checkout (ping?)

We currently have the Square Terminal implemented in several self-checkout kiosks for campuses and cafeterias. For a kiosk solution like ours we perform a HW verification step that occurs when the kiosk application reboots, this is to validate that all peripherals, including the Square Terminal are working properly and notify the customer in case of a malfunction (if Square Terminal is not working we ping a Slack channel for tech support to troubleshoot)

At the moment the only way to check if the terminal is up and ready for payment is by doing a “fake” checkout, but this creates a few problems, we go in more detail in this post - Please find details here:

It would be great if there was way to make a call just to know the status of the terminal, like a Ping.

Thanks again for the work you guys are doing in this product.

1 Like

Also super keen for this.

I set my terminal to a static ip for other reasons but knowing that if it is connected to the lan, all perky and ready then it will respond to ping requests. So that’s what I do. I ping it from my code and post an alert if it can’t get a response.

That’s not a checkout ping but the next best thing.

I have also same issue any suggestion for this so please reply. Thanks in advance.

:wave: Currently, there isn’t a way to programmatically check the Terminals status to see if it’s ready to take payments. We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face: