Customer API ability to get and set Custom Fields

I have seen many posts talking about an alpha \ beta program to have access customer api that returns custom fields.

Is this feature live yet?

Can I be included in the Beta?

Thanks.

Yes, the custom fields are available through Custom Attributes with the Customers API. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks.

So if I do a customer listing I would need to loop thru each customer and do another call to get custom attributes values.

It would be nice to see an option to just have them come thru like any other primary customer field when doing a customer listing.

1 Like

We’re constantly working to improve our features based on feedback like this, so I’ll be sure to share your request to the API product team. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello, so as of right now, the user side (seller) will not see the custom attributes on the dashboard. Is that correct?

Also are there any updates to a better way to join the custom attributes to the customer table than looping through each customer?

Custom Attributes for customer are visible in the Seller Dashboard. When you create the attribute you’ll set the visibility. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your answer. When testing with the square sandbox account, I realized that :

• When i create the custom customer attribute using the dashboard, I can modify it through the API and the updated custom attribute appears on the dashboard/customer directory. That actually works.

• However, when I create the custom customer attribute using the API (with visibility : ‘VISIBILITY_READ_WRITE_VALUES’), the custom attribute is not shown on the dashboard. I’ve also tried going into the ‘Customers > Settings’ to check the visible fields, and the created customer attribute was also not showing in the list.

Is this a normal occurrence?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I was able to replicate this. The team is looking into this. I did test and it is working as expected in production. I’ll be sure to reach out with any updates. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is fixed now and any new custom attribute created in sandbox will show now. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was seeing what I thought was weird behavior with custom attributes for customers initially but it could be that:

1. There was a significant delay from the time the custom attribute was created via API and when it showed on the Dashboard. One that I created 45+ minutes ago is not yet showing, others that I created earlier are (not sure if this is always the case but that’s what I experienced)

2. The default location that the custom attribute appears on the Dashboard is under: Customers > Settings > Configure Profiles > Invisible Fields but now that I see it there I see that it can be made to be visible by the end user toggling the setting.

This appears to be working better today, but I may have found a separate but related bug. It seems that Custom Customer Attributes created via API cannot be deleted on the Dashboard. The option to delete appears but the request appears to get hung up after submission (stuck on this view and field is not deleted):

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 1.15.26 PM

But deletion via API is working.

I just tested and it worked as expected. What’s your application ID and the custom field your trying to delete? :slightly_smiling_face: